The two most common questions people ask me about string theory are: What is it? and What does it have to do with the real world? Sadly, I cannot claim to have more than a preliminary and partial understanding of the answers to these questions. Let me try nonetheless to communicate what I think I know about this difficult subject.
KeywordsString Theory Gauge Boson Vertex Operator SUSY Breaking Heterotic String
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- I. V. Tyutin, Lebedev preprint FIAN-39, 1975, unpublished.Google Scholar
- 3.D. Friedan and S. Shenker, Talk at Aspen Summer Institute 1984.Google Scholar
- 5.R. Arnowitt, S. Deser, and C. W. Misner, in Gravitation (E. Witten, ed.), Wiley, New York, 1982, p. 227.Google Scholar
- 7.D. Friedan and S. Shenker, unpublished; L. Dixon, V. Kaplunovsky, and C. Vafa, Nucl. Phys. B 294, 43 (1987).Google Scholar
- 8.D. Friedan, A. Kent, S. Shenker, and E. Witten, unpublished; A. Sen, Nucl. Phys. B 278, 289 (1986);Google Scholar
- 9.T. Banks, L. Dixon, D. Friedan, and E. Martinec, SLAC-Pub-4377 (1987), Nucl. Phys. B (in press);Google Scholar
- T. Banks and L. Dixon, SCIPP Preprint 88/05 (1988).Google Scholar
- 11.D. Friedan and S. Shenker, unpublished.Google Scholar
- 12.H. Georgi, H. Quinn, and W. Weinberg, in Gauge Theories of Fundamental Interactions (R. N. Mohapatra and C. H. Lai, ed.), World Scientific, Singapore (1974), p.428;Google Scholar
- 13.S. Weinberg, in Proceedings of the Workship on Grand Unification, Philadelphia, 1984, p. 380.Google Scholar