Correlates of Serotype in Cryptococcus Neoformans
Serotypic differentiation of C. neoformans isolates was first reported by E. E. Evans in 1949, based upon agglutination reactions with absorbed rabbit serum (1). Evans studied only 12 isolates, 8 of which were designated as type A, 3 as type B and one as type C. Significantly, the author had collected his type B and C isolates from patients in California. It was later shown that only about one of 16 isolates from elsewhere in the USA are types B or C (2). A new serotype was reported in 1966 based upon fluorescent antibody studies with a human serum against one isolate of the new serotype (3). In 1968, existence of a fourth serotype was confirmed in five isolates, using agglutination by absorbed rabbit serum (4). Since this time, no new serotypes have been described.
KeywordsAgar Europe Creatinine Glycine Polysaccharide
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 8.Aulakh HS, Straus SE, Kwon-Chung KJ. Genetic relatedness of Filobasidiella neoformans (Cryptococcus neoformans) and Filobasidiella bacillispora (Cryptococcus bacillisporus) as determined by DNA base composition and sequence homology studies. Int J Syst Bacteriol 31:97–103, 1981.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.Min KH, Kwon-Chung KJ. Biochemical bases for the distinction of the two Cryptococcusneoformans varieties with CGB medium. Zentralbl Bakteriol Mikrobiol Hyg, 261:471–80, 1986.Google Scholar
- 17.HJ Scholer personal communication.Google Scholar
- 20.Kwon-Chung KJ, Bennett JE. High prevalence of Cryptococcusneoformans var. gattii in tropical and subtropical regions. Zentralbl Bakteriol Mikrobiol Hyg 257:213–8, 1984.Google Scholar
- 23.Shimizu RY, Howard DH, Clancy MN. The distribution of Cryptococcusneoformans var. neoformans and C. neoformans var. gattii among patients at UCLA Medical Center (#F-39, p. 404). Abstracts of the Annual Meeting of the American Society for Microbiology, Washington, DC, 1986.Google Scholar
- 24.Fournon M, Petat E, de Closets F, Himana TH, Barin F, du Sorbier CM. A propos de 11 souches de Cryptococcusneoformans isolees du L.C.R. de patients africains. Bull Soc Fr Mycol Med 15:85–8, 1986.Google Scholar