What’s New in the Old Spectroscopy?
In the first two of these three lectures, I describe some recent work attempting to place the quark potential model on a firmer foundation: we will discuss taking first the “naive” and then the “non-relativistic” out of the quark model. In the last lecture I will give my views on the outstanding theoretical and experimental issues in “the old spectroscopy”.
KeywordsAssure Hydrid Clarification Weinstein
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.S. Capstick, S. Godfrey, N. Isgur and J. Paton, ‘Taking the “Naive” and “Non-relativistic” Out of the Quark Potential Model’, Phys. Lett. B175, 457 (1986).Google Scholar
- N. Isgur and J. Paton, ‘A Flux-tube Model for Hadrons in QCD’, Phys. Lett. 124B, 247 (1983).Google Scholar
- 4.F.E. Barnes, California Institute of Technology, Ph.D., thesis, 1977 (unpublished).Google Scholar
- 5.J. Merlin and J. Paton, J. Phys. G11, 439 (1985).Google Scholar
- 7.G. Karl, private communication.Google Scholar
- 11.See, for example, C. Michael in “Lattice Gauge Theory: A Challenge in Large-Scale Computing” ( New York, Plenum, 1986 ), p. 227.Google Scholar
- 12.J. Flower, Caltech preprints CALT-68-1377, 1378.Google Scholar
- M. Luscher, K. Symanzik, and P. Weisz, Nucl. Phys. B244, 262 (1984).Google Scholar
- J. Weinstein, University of Toronto Ph. D. Thesis, 1986 (unpublished).Google Scholar
- For a review of the status of this picture see F. E. Barnes in these proceedings. The K\(\bar K\) molecule picture is an outgrowth of earlier work on qq\(\bar q\bar q\) states in the bag model: see R. L. Jaffe, Phys. R.v. D15, 267, 281 (1977), D15, 1444 (1978).Google Scholar
- 17.See the contributions by F. E. Close, G. Eigen, and F. Couchot in these proceedings.Google Scholar
- 18.For a review of the experimental situation see L. Montanet in these proceedings.Google Scholar
- N. M. Cason et al., Phys. Rev. Lett. 48, 1316 (1982) find evidence for the isoscalar member. See also Ref. 19 in which evidence is seen for the strange members of this nonet at 1.97 GeV.Google Scholar
- R. Kokoski and N. Isgur, Phys. Rev. D35, 907 (1987) discuss all of the 2P multiplets in this light.Google Scholar