Alteration of Dna Structure: The Common Result of the Interaction Between DNA and Physical and Chemical Agents
It is becoming evident that the majority, if not all, of mutagens and carcinogens bind, either covalently or not, to nucleic acids or induce chemical modifications in these target molecules. This interaction seems critical in both mutagenic and carcinogenic processes. Since the alterations in nucleic acid structure are likely to have functional consequences, it is important to gain a better understanding of the modifications in the target structure.
KeywordsPyrene Pyrimidine Epoxide Cytosine Cesium
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Dickerson, R.E., Drew, H.R., Concer B.N., Kopka M.L. and Pjuva, P.E., 1983, Helix geometry and hidration in A-DNA, B-DNA and Z-DNA.Cold Spring Harbor Symp. Quant. Biol.47: 13–24.Google Scholar
- Keller, W. and Wendell, I., 1974, Stepwise relaxation of supercoiled SV40 DNA 39:199–208.Google Scholar
- Lan, P., and Gray, H., 1979 Extracellular nucleases ofAlteromonas espejianaBAL 31. IV. The single strand-specific deoxiriboendo nuclease activity as a probe for regions of altered secondary structure in negatively and positively supercoiled closed circular DNA.Nucleic Acids Res.6: 331–357.Google Scholar
- Maniatis, T. and Ptashne, M., 1973, Multiple repressor binding at the operators in bacteriophage lambda.Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A.70: 1535–1531.Google Scholar
- Register, J.C., Sperrazza, J.M. and Griffith, J., 1983, RecA protein unwinds douplex DNA by 180 degrees for every 17 base pairs in the fiber formed with ATP S.UCLA Symposia on Molecular and Cellular Biology, 10: 731–738.Google Scholar
- Sangalli, S., Rebuzzini, A., Spadari, S., Pedrali-Noy, G., Focher, F., and Ciarrocchi, G., 1984, Methylation of UV-irradiated and chemically modified DNAs.Medecine Biologie Environnement, 12: 527–530.Google Scholar
- Shafranovskaya, N.N., Trifonov, E.N., Lazurkin, Yu.S. and Franck-Kamenetskii, M.D., 1973, Clustering of the thymine dimers in ultraviolet irradiated DNA and the long-range transfer of electronic excitation along the molecule.Nature241: 58–60.Google Scholar
- Spadari, S., Pedrali-Noy, G., Ciomei, M., Rebuzzini, A., Hubscher, U., and Ciarrocchi, G., 1984, DNA methylation and DNA structure, pp. 551–556. In: Proteins involved in DNA replication (ed. Ubscher and S. Spadari) Plenum Publishing Corp.Google Scholar
- Vorlickova, M. and Palecek, E., 1978, Changes in properties of DNA caused by gamma and ultraviolet radiation. Dependence of conformational changes on the chemical nature of the damage. Biochim. Biophys. Acta, 517: 308–318.Google Scholar
- Wang, S.Y., 1976, Photochemistry and photobiology of Nucleic Acids, Vol. II, Academic Press, N.Y.Google Scholar