Understanding Placement of the Demented Elderly
- 89 Downloads
Mrs. K., an 85-year-old widow living alone with the help of her daughter, has been your patient for many years. In spite of mild cognitive deficits she has managed to live at home and accomplish her activities of daily living with some input from her daughter for shopping and banking. Her daughter, your patient as well, brought her mother in because Mrs. K. has developed more than occasional urinary incontinence and seems to have more difficulty taking care of herself. The daughter would like you to sign the papers for application to place Mrs. K. in a nursing home.
KeywordsNursing Home Elderly Person Geriatric Assessment Acute Care Hospital Home Care Service
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Schreiber, M. S., Hughes, S. (1982). The Chicago five hospital homebound elderly program: A long-term care model. Pride Inst. J. Home Health Care, 1: 12–20.Google Scholar
- 2.Federal Council on Aging (1981). The need for long term care: A chartbook of the Federal Council on the Aging, Washington: U.S. Government Printing Office, OHDS 81–20704.Google Scholar
- 3.Shamoian, C. A. (1983). Psychogeriatrics. Medical Clinics of North America, 67: 361–378.Google Scholar
- 4.Mortimer, J. A., Schuman, L. M., French, L. R. (1981). Epidemiology of dementing illness. In Mortimer, J. A., Schuman, L. M. (eds). The Epidemiology of Dementia. New York: Oxford University Press, 3–23.Google Scholar
- 6.Kane, R. L., Ouslander, J. G., Abrass, I. B. (1984). The elderly patient: demography and epidemiology. In Essentials of Clinical Geriatrics. New York: McGraw Hill, 17–33.Google Scholar
- 8.Bergman, H., Clarfield, A. M. (April, 1988 ). Appropriateness of transfer of patients from a nursing home to the acute care hospital; emergency room visits and admissions. Presented to McGill Centre for Studies in Aging, Research Day, Montreal.Google Scholar
- 10.Kleh, J. (1977). When to institutionalize the elderly. Hosp. Pract., 12: 21–34.Google Scholar
- 11.Kraus, A. S., Spasoff, R. A., Beattie, E. J. (1977). Elderly applicants to longterm-care institutions: Their characteristics, health problems and state of mind. J. Am. Geriatr. Soc., 24: 117–25.Google Scholar