Compassionate Family Surrogacy by IVF
Surrogacy procedures are regarded as a highly controversial area of medicine with unresolved moral, ethical and legal issues. The same comments were applied to IVF only a decade earlier but at this stage many countries have established (by legal or voluntary measures) guidelines for the conduct of IVF procedures. Surrogacy has not developed to anywhere near that level and the subject continues to divide society and religions, as well as the legal and medical professions.
KeywordsAssist Reproductive Technology Ovarian Stimulation Infertile Couple Freeze Semen Artificial Conception
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.S. Downie, “Baby making: the technology and ethics,” The Bodley Head, London (1988).Google Scholar
- 2.W. H. Utian, In vitro fertilization — surrogate pregnancy, in: “Proceedings of the VI World Congress in Vitro Fertilization and Alternate Assisted Reproduction, Jerusalem, Israel”, April 2-7 (1989).Google Scholar
- 3.New South Wales. Law Reform Commission, “Artificial conception: Surrogate motherhood: Australian public opinion.” Sydney (1987).Google Scholar
- 4.M. Kirby, Surrogacy, in: “Proceedings of the Sixth Annual Meeting of the Fertility Society of Australia, Sydney”, 11-14 November (1987).Google Scholar
- 5.J.L. Yovich, Infertility and Fertility: Female, in: “Treatment and prognosis: obstetrics and gynaecology,” J.G. Grudzinskas, T. Beedham, eds., Heinemann Medical Books, London (1988).Google Scholar
- 6.J.L. Yovich, A.I. Tuvik, P.L. Matson and D.L. Willcox, Ovarian stimulation for disordered ovulatory cycles, Asia-Oceania. J. Obstet. Gynaecol. 13:457–463 (1987).Google Scholar
- 8.Ontario Law Reform Commission Report on Human Artificial Reproduction and Related Matters (1985).Google Scholar
- 10.New South Wales. Law Reform Commission, “Artificial conception. Discussion paper 3. Surrogate motherhood,” Sydney (1988).Google Scholar
- 11.New South Wales. Law Reform Commission, “Artificial conception. Report 3. Surrogate motherhood,” Sydney (1988).Google Scholar