Rapid Diagnosis of Viral Infections
Rapid tests for use in the virology laboratory have evolved because of the recognition of serious complications produced by viruses and the availability of antiviral therapy such as acyclovir and gancyclovir to influence the clinical course of the patient. Accordingly, many of these systemic viral infections occur as a result of impaired host immune defense mechanisms. Thus, the importance of the herpesviruses in particular, producing life-threatening disease in organ transplant recipients (kidney, bone marrow, liver, heart, lung, and pancreas) has been recognized for several years. The severe immunosuppression induced in patients infected with human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) has amplified the importance of underlying infection with herpesviruses, and hence laboratory diagnosis of these infections in this population.
KeywordsToxicity Hepatitis Influenza Assure Glutaraldehyde
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Baker, D. A., Pavan-Langston, D., Gonick, B., Milch, P. O., Dunkel, E. C., Berkowitz, A., Vander-Mallie, R., Woodin, M. B., Philip, A., Bobrow, M. N., and Cukor, G, 1987, Multicenter clinical evaluation of DuPont’s Herpchek“, a new rapid diagnostic test for herpes simplex virus (HSV), Abstract, Eastern Pennsylvania Branch, ASM, Philadelphia, PA.Google Scholar
- Brautigan, A. R., Richman D. D., and Oxman, M. N., 1980, Rapid typing of herpes simplex virus isolates by deoxyribonucleic acid: deoxyribonucleic acid by hybridization, J Clin Microbiol. 12:226.Google Scholar
- Chernesky, M. A., Ray, C. G., Smith, T. F., and Drew, W. L., 1982, Laboratory diagnosis of viral infections, Cumitech 15:1.Google Scholar
- Morgan, M. A., and Smith, T. F., 1894, Evaluation of an enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay for the detection of herpes simplex virus antigen, J Clin Microbiol. 19:730.Google Scholar
- Nerurkar, L. S., Namba, M., Brashears, G., Jacob, A. J., Lee, Y. J., and Sever;. J. L., 1984, Rapid detection of herpes simplex virus in clinical specimens by use of a capture biotin-streptavidin enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay, J Clin Microbiol. 28:109.Google Scholar
- Smith, T. F., 1987, Rapid methods for the diagnosis of viral infections, Lab Med., 18:16.Google Scholar