Ventricular Arrhythmias in Hemodialysis Patients: A Study of Incidence and Contributory Factors
One hundred patients undergoing maintenance hemodialysis for chronic renal failure were evaluated by Holter ECG monitoring for a 72-hour period from the day of hemodialysis therapy. Eighteen patients (the frequent group) who had more than 700 premature ventricular contractions (PVCs) per day were found among these 100 patients. In those eighteen, the PVCs were recorded frequently during and for 4 hours after hemodialysis. The values of the serum calcium concentration times those of phosphorus, which are thought to be an index of parathyroid function, were significantly higher in the frequent group than in patients without PVCs (the no arrhythmia group) or in those with fewer PVCs (less than 700 beats per day; sporadic group). Also, in the frequent group, the percent fractional shortening of the left ventricle, as measured by 2-dimensional echocardiography, was significantly lower than those in the no arrhythmia and sporadic groups. From these results, we conclude that the pathogenesis of the PVCs in chronic renal failure resulted partially from impaired cardiac performance and accelerated parathyroid function.
KeywordsPhosphorus Ischemia Albumin Europe Dopamine
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.S.G. Massry, D.A. Goldstein: The search for uremic toxin(s)‘X’ ‘X’=PTH. Clin. Nephrol. 11: 181–189 (1979).Google Scholar
- 11.A. Lindner, B. Charra, D.J. Sherrard, B.H. Scribner: Accelerated atherosclerosis in prolonged maintenanace hemodialysis. New Engl. J. Med. 290: 697–701 (1974).Google Scholar
- 12.K. Scharar, F.P. Brunner, H. von Dehn, H.J. Gurland, H. Harlen, F.M. Parsons: Combined report on regular dialysis and transplantation of children in Europe. 1971. Proc. Eur. Dial. Transplant Ass. 10: 58 (1973).Google Scholar
- 14.B.N. Chiang, L.V. Perlman, L.D. Ostrander, Jr., F.H. Epstein: Relationship of premature systoles to coronary heart disease and sudden death in the Tecumseh epidemiologic study. Ann. Intern. Med. 70: 1159–1166 (1979).Google Scholar
- 15.K. Kimura, K. Tabei, S. Hosoda: Selection of the treatment and tachyarrhythmia in various myocardial disorders with regard to the myocardial damage in uremic patients. Nagoya, Japan, 1986 ( Suppl. )Google Scholar
- 16.S.G. Massry, J.W. Coburn, M.M. Popovtzer : Secondary hyperparathyroidism in chronic renal failure. The clinical spectrum in uremia, during hemodialysis and after renal trans-plantation. Arch. Intern. Med. 124: 431–441 (1969).Google Scholar