A Two Band Model for Halogen-Bridged Transition Metal Linear Chain Complexes
The increasing appreciation of strong, competing electron-electron and electron-phonon interactions in low-dimensional materials and the consequent need to expand many-body techniques. The MX materials offer a rapidly expanding, near single-crystal (in contrast to, e.g., polyacetylene), class of quasi-1-D systems which can be “tuned” (by chemistry, pressure, doping, etc.) between various ground state extremes: from strong charge-disproportionation and large lattice distortion (e.g., ~ 20% distortion in PtCl) to weak charge-density-wave and small lattice distortion (e.g., ~ 5% distortion in PtI), to magnetic and undistorted (e.g., NiBr);
The opportunity to probe doping- and photo-induced local defect states (polarons, bipolarons, kinks, excitons) and their interactions in controlled environments and the same large range of ground states; and
The similarities between models and theoretical issues in these materials and the recently discovered oxide superconductors . The MX materials are also closely connected conceptually with mixed-stack charge-transfer salts .
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.M.B. Robin and P. Day, in H.J. Emeleus (ed.), “Advances in Inorganic Chemistry and Radiochemistry”, Vol. 10, Academic Press, New York, 1967, p. 247; P. Day, in H.J. Keller (ed.), “Low Dimensional Cooperative Phenomena”, Plenum Press, New York, 1974, p. 191; H.J. Keller, in J.S. Miller (ed.), “Extended Linear Chain Compounds”, Vol. 1, Plenum Press, New York, 1982, p. 357.Google Scholar
- 2.K. Nasu, J. Phvs. Soc. Japan. 50 (1981) 235; 52 (1983) 3865; 53 (1984) 302; 53 (1984) 427; 54 (1985) 1933; J. Luminescence, 38 (1987) 90. K. Nasu and Y. Toyozawa, J. Phvs. Soc. Japan, 51 (1982) 2098; 51 (1982) 3111. A. Mishima and K. Nasu, Proceedings of ICSM 88, to appear in Synthetic Metals and unpublished.CrossRefADSMathSciNetGoogle Scholar
- 3.D. Baeriswyl and A.R. Bishop, Physica Scripta, T19 (1987) 239; J. Phys. C: Solid State Phys., 21 (1988)339.Google Scholar
- 5.Y. Onodera, J. Phys. Soc. Japan, 56 (1987) 250.Google Scholar
- 8.A. Bishop, J.T. Gammel, and S. Phillpot, Proceedings of ICSM ’88, to appear in Synthetic Metals: J.T. Gammel, S.M. Weber-Milbrot, E.Y. Loh, Jr., and A.R. Bishop, Proceedings of ICSM ‘88, to appear in Synthetic Metals.Google Scholar
- 9.A. Painelli and A. Girlando, Proceedings of ICSM ’88, to appear in Synthetic Metals.Google Scholar
- 11.I. Batistic et. al, to be published.Google Scholar
- 14.R. Donohoe, D. Tait, and B.I. Swanson, private communication.Google Scholar