HOLZ Diffraction from Semiconductor Superlattices
Superlattice higher-order Laue zone (HOLZ) rings of diffraction are observed to occur in CBED patterns taken in plan view from GaAs/AlAs superlattices. The fine structure of these superlattice reflections is characteristically different from the corresponding structure of fundamental reflections originating from the average lattice. These diffraction effects, induced by composition modulation, are discussed and compared with strain modulation effects occurring in CBED patterns from other systems such as GaAs/InGaAs or Si/GeSi.
KeywordsAverage Lattice Diffraction Effect Strain Modulation Superlattice Reflection Electron Diffraction Study
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.H.L. Fraser, D.M. Maher, C.J. Humphreys, C.J.D. Hetherington, R.V. Knoell, and J.C. Bean, The detection of local strains in strained layer superlattices, Inst. Phys. Conf. Ser. No.76:307 (1985).Google Scholar
- 2.E.P. Kvam, D.J. Eaglesham, C.J. Humphreys, D.M. Maher, J.C. Bean, and H.L. Fraser, Heteroepitaxial strains and interface structure of Ge-Si alloy layers on Si(100), Inst. Phys. Conf. Ser. No.87:165 (1987).Google Scholar
- 4.D.J. Eaglesham and C.J. Humphreys, A new technique for microanalysis using CBED: model study of (Al/Ga)As, in: ‘Proc. XIth Int. Cong. on Electron Microscopy, Vol. 1’, Japanese Society of Electron Microscopy, Kyoto, p. 209 (1986).Google Scholar
- 5.C.J.D. Hetherington, D.J. Eaglesham, C.J. Humphreys, and G.J. Tatlock, TEM compositional microanalysis in III-V alloys, Inst. Phys. Conf. Ser. No.87:655 (1987).Google Scholar
- 7.G.M. Pennock and F.W. Schapink, Convergent-beam electron diffraction from GaAs/AlAs multilayers, Inst. Phys. Conf. Ser. No. 87:219 (1987).Google Scholar
- 8.J.W. Steeds, Convergent beam electron diffraction, in: “Introduction to Analytical Electron Microscopy”, J.J. Hren, J.I. Goldstein, and D.C. Joy, ed., Plenum Press, New York (1979).Google Scholar
- 9.R. Vincent, D.M. Bird, and J.W. Steeds, Structure of AuGeAs determined by convergent-beam electron diffraction II. Refinement of structural parameters, Phil. Mag. A50:765 (1984).Google Scholar
- 10.D.M. Bird, Characterization of superlattices by convergent beam diffraction, Inst. Phys. Conf. Ser. No.87:225 (1987).Google Scholar