Convergent Beam Electron Diffraction Studies of Defects, Strains and Composition Profiles in Semiconductors
This paper shows how convergent beam electron diffraction has been used at Bristol to study strains, defects and composition profiles in plan-view semiconductor multilayers. It is shown that epitaxial strains in bicrystals and multilayers can be measured down to ~ 0.1% and that varying strain fields near dislocations and interfaces can be investigated with high sensitivity. It is also shown that convergent beam diffraction gives a powerful new method of examining superlattice reflections from both periodic and irregular multilayer structures and studies of single quantum well samples of AlGaAs/GaAs and InP/InGaAs, which give well thicknesses to near monolayer precision, are also described.
KeywordsTungsten GaAs Congo
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.P.B. Hirsch, A. Howie, R.B. Nicholson, D.W. Pashley and M.J. Whelan, “Electron Microscopy of Thin Crystals”, Krieger, New York (1977).Google Scholar
- 2.M. Tanaka, R. Saito, K. Ueno and Y. Harada, J. Electron Microsc. 29 (1980) 408.Google Scholar
- 5.D. Cherns and A.R. Preston, J. Electron Microscope Technique: in press.Google Scholar
- 6.M. Tanaka and T. Kaneyama, Proc. 11th Int. Cong, in Electron Microscopy, Kyoto 1986 ed. T. Imura et al. Vol. 1, p 203.Google Scholar
- 7.D.J. Eaglesham, C.J. Kiely, D. Cherns and M. Missous, Phil. Mag.: submitted.Google Scholar
- 8.D. Cherns, D.J. Eaglesham and C.J. Kiely, Proc. 11th Int. Congress on Electron Microscopy, Kyoto 1986, ed. T. Imura et al. Vol. 1 p 207.Google Scholar
- 9.D. Cherns and A.R. Preston, Proc. 11th Int. Congress on Electron Microscopy, Kyoto 1986, ed. T. Imura et al Vol. 1, p 721.Google Scholar
- 10.A.R. Preston and D. Cherns, Inst. Phys. Conf. Ser. No.78 (1986) 41.Google Scholar
- 12.R. Vincent, J. Wang, D. Cherns, S.J. Bailey, A.R. Preston and J.W. Steeds, Inst. Phys. Conf. Ser. No. 90 (1987) 233.Google Scholar
- 13.D. Cherns and F. Legoues: unpublished.Google Scholar
- 15.I.K. Jordan: unpublished.Google Scholar