In-Situ Electron Microscope Studies of Misfit Dislocation Introduction into GexSi1-x/Si Heterostructures
An outstanding question in semiconductor strained layer epitaxy is the details of lattice mismatch relaxation via the introduction, propagation and interaction of misfit dislocations. In this paper, we review present understanding of the strained layer relaxation process and describe recent in-situ relaxation experiments in a transmission electron microscope which, to our knowledge, have enabled us for the first time to directly observe misfit dislocation phenomena in strained layer semiconductors in realtime. These experiments have provided detailed understanding of defect nucleation, propagation and interaction events during elastic strain relaxation in Gex Si1-x/Si(100) epitaxy and have allowed quantitative measurement of physical parameters such as activation energies which describe these processes.
KeywordsCritical Thickness Misfit Dislocation Strain Relaxation Thread Dislocation Density Plan View Transmission Electron Microscope
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- (1).G.C. Osbourn, IEEE J. Quant. Electron. QE-22, 1677 (1986) (1985)Google Scholar
- (2).See J.C. Bean in Proc. Mat. Res. Soc. 37, ed. J.M. Gibson and L.R. Dawson (Materials Research Society, Pittsburgh, PA, 1985), p.245.Google Scholar
- (3).J.H. Van der Merwe and C.A.B. Ball in Epitaxial Growth, Part b, edited by J.W. Matthews (Academic, New York, 1975), pp. 494–530Google Scholar
- (6).R. Hull, A.T. Fiory, J.C. Bean, J.M. Gibson, L. Scott, J.L. Benton and S. Nakahara, Proc. 13th Int. Conf. on Defects in Semiconductors, Coronado, CA Aug. 1984, ed. L.C. Kimmerling and J.M. Parsey, Jr. (AIME, Warrendale, PA)Google Scholar
- (11).A.T. Fiory, J.C. Bean, R. Hull and S. Nakahara, Phys. Rev. B 31, 4063Google Scholar
- (13).R.Hull, J.C. Bean, D.J. Werder and R.E. Leibenguth, submitted to Phys. Rev. Lett.Google Scholar
- (14).R. Hull and J.C. Bean, accepted for publication in Appl. Phys. Lett.Google Scholar
- (16).D.J. Eaglesham, E.P. Kvam, D.M. Maher, C.J. Humphreys and J.C. Bean, accepted for publication in Phil. Mag.Google Scholar
- (17).R. Hull and J.C. Bean, to be published in Jul/Aug 1989 issue of J. Vac. Sci. Tech. AGoogle Scholar
- (18).E.P. Kvam, D.J. Eaglesham, D.M. Maher, C.J. Humphreys, J.C. Bean, G.S. Green and B.K. Tanner, Proc. Mat. Res. Soc. 104, ed. R.T. Tung, L.R. Dawson and R.L. Gunshor, (Materials Research, Pittsburgh, PA), p. 623.Google Scholar