The hypothesis that fiber-depleted starch foods are the main factor producing NIDDM diabetes (henceforth called diabetes) started in my mind in 1929 soon after I joined the Kenya Medical Service. It continued on and off in my mind until it culminated in two articles published in 1987, some 59 years later.
KeywordsDietary Fibre White Bread White Rice Mulago Hospital Starchy Food
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Mann, J., 1985, Diabetes mellitus: Some aspects of aetiology and management of non-insulin dependent diabetes, in: Dietary Fibre, Fibre-Depleted Foods and Disease (H. Trowell, D. Burkitt, and K. Heaton, eds.), Academic Press, London, pp. 268–287.Google Scholar
- Mann, J., and Houston, A. C., 1983, The aetiology of non-insulin dependent diabetes mellitus, in: Diabetes in Epidemiological Perspective (J. I. Mann, K. Pyörälä, and T. Teuscher, eds.), Churchill Livingstone, Edinburgh, pp. 122–164.Google Scholar
- Orr, J. B., and Gilks, J. L., 1931, The Physique and Health of Two African Tribes, His Majesty’s Stationery Office, London.Google Scholar
- Trowell, H. C., 1937, A Handbook for Dressers and Nurses in the Tropics, Sheldon Press, London.Google Scholar
- Trowell, H. C., 1939, Diagnosis and Treatment of Disease in the Tropics, Baillière, Tindall, and Cox, London, p. 163.Google Scholar
- Trowell, H. C., 1960, Non-Infective Disease in Africa, Edward Arnold, London, pp. 306–311, 465–473.Google Scholar
- Trowell, H. C., 1981, Diabetes mellitus emerges, in: Western Diseases; Their Emergence and Prevention, Harvard University Press, Cambridge, MA, pp. 22–26.Google Scholar
- Trowell, H., 1987b, Diabetes mellitus and rice-a hypothesis, Hum. Nutr 41F: 145–152.Google Scholar
- Trowell, H., 1988, Remission of Diabetes (NIDDM). Editorial Article, Nutrition Google Scholar
- Trowell, H., Burkitt, D. P., and Heaton, K., 1985, Dietary Fibre, Fibre-Depleted Foods and Disease, Academic Press, London, pp. 21–30.Google Scholar