Anti-Escherichia Coli Adhesin Activity of Cranberry and Blueberry Juices
For many decades, cranberry juice has been recommended by physicians in North America for the treatment or prevention of urinary tract infections (UTI). However, until recently, no experimental evidence has been presented for the purported beneficiary effect of the juice, nor for its mechanism of action. For a while, it was believed that the antibacterial effect of the juice is due to its ability to acidify urine and thus to inhibit bacterial growth but no support for this was found (Kunin, 1987; Bodel et al., 1959).
KeywordsUrinary Tract Infection Condensed Tannin Hippuric Acid Cranberry Juice Uroepithelial Cell
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Duguid, J. P., and Old, D. C. (1980). Adhesive properties of Enterobacteriaceae. 186–217. In E.H. Beachey (ed), Bacterial Adherence: Receptor and Recognition., Series B, Vol. 6.London: Chapman & Hall.Google Scholar
- Goldhar, J., Peri, R., and Ofek, I. (1984). Extraction and properties of non-fimbrial mannose resistant hemagglutinin from urinary isolate of Escherichia coli. Infect. Immun.2, 49–54Google Scholar
- Kunin, C. M. (1987). Detection, prevention and management of urinary tract infections. Lea & Febiger, Philadelphia, pp 299–323.Google Scholar
- Ofek, I., Zafriri, D., Goldhar, J., Heiber, R., Lis, H. and Sharon, N. (1993). Effect of various juices on activity of adhesins expressed by urinary and nonurinary isolates of Escherichia coli. In America’s Foods Health Messages and Claims: Scientific, Regulatory, and Legal Issues (J. Tilloston, ed) CRC press, Inc. pp 193–201.Google Scholar
- Ofek, I., and Doyle, R. J. (1994). Adhesion of Bacteria to Cells and Tissues, Chapter 11. Chapman and Hall, New York.Google Scholar
- Okuda, T. (1994). Okayama Univ., Japan, personal communicationGoogle Scholar
- Sobota, A. E. (1984). Inhibition of bacterial adherence by cranberry juice: Potential use for treatment of urinary tract infection. J. Urol. 131: 1031–1016.Google Scholar
- Zafriri, D., Ofek, I., Adar, R., Pocino, M., and Sharon, N. (1989). Inhibitory activity of cranberry juice on adherence of type 1 and type P fimbriated Escherichia coli to eukaryotic cells. Ant. Microbial Agt. Chem. 33: 92–98Google Scholar