Application of Saponins in Foods and Cosmetics: Saponins of Mohave Yucca and Sapindus Mukurossi
Saponins are known as natural surfactants. In addition to this physical property, saponins exhibit a variety of biological activities, and have been investigated toward the development of new natural medicines and to prove the efficacy of traditional herbal medicines. As to the application of saponins to foods and cosmetics, it is indispensable that sufficient amounts of plant resouces are available, and that the content of saponins must be high. Furthermore, a plant must have a long history of human use as foodstuffs or ingredients of cosmetics, and their safety should be officially guaranteed.
KeywordsFoam Bacillus MeOH Xylose Lactobacillus
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Kimata, H., Nakashima, T., Kokubun, S., Nakayama, K., Mitoma, Y, Kitahara, T., Yata, N. and Tanaka, O. 1983. Saponins of pericarps of Sapindus mukurossi Gaertn. and solubilization of monodesmosides by bisdesmosides. Chem. Pharm. Bull, 31: 1998, and references cited therein.Google Scholar
- Mizutani, K . 1994. Biological activities, production, and use of chemical constituents of licorice. Food Phytochemicals for Cancer Prevention II, ACS Symposium Series 547, C.-T. Ho, T. Osawa, M.-T. Huang, and R.T. Rosen Eds. American Chemical Society, Washington, D.C.Google Scholar
- Society, Washington, D.C.Google Scholar
- Yata, N., Sugihara, N., Yamajo, R., Murakami, T, Higashi, H., Kimata, H., Nakayama, K., Kuzuki, T., and Tanaka, O. 1985. Enhanced rectal absorption of β-lactam antibiotics in rat by monodesmosides isolated from pericarps of Sapindus mukurossi (enmei-hi). J. Pharmacobio-Dyn., 8: 1041.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Yata, N., Sugihara, R., Yamajo, R., Murakami, T, Higashi, Y, Kimata, H., Nakayama, K., Kuzuki, T. and Tanaka, O. 1986. Enhanced small intestinal absorption of β-lactam antibiotics in rat in the presence of monodesmosides isolated from pericarps of Sapinus mukurossi (enmei-hi). J. Pharmacobio-Dyn., 9: 211.PubMedGoogle Scholar