The Cellular Basis of the Pathophysiology and Treatment of Pulmonary Hypertension
Pulmonary hypertension has traditionally been categorized into primary and secondary types. Although primary pulmonary hypertension (PPH) is felt to be relatively unique as a cardiopulmonary disease, its distinction from secondary forms of pulmonary hypertension often solely depends on whether or not an identifiable etiology can be ascertained. Histologically it can be impossible to distinguish primary from secondary forms of pulmonary hypertension (Pietra et al, 1989), suggesting that the distinction may be in the mechanism(s) that produce the pulmonary vascular disease with pulmonary hypertension as a common end point.
KeywordsMigration Heparin Respiration Adenosine Serotonin
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Celemajer, D.S., Cullen, S. and Deanfield, J.E., 1993, Impairment of endothelium-dependent pulmonary artery relaxation in children with congenital heart disease and abnormal pulmonary hemodynamics. Circulation 87: 440.Google Scholar
- Cremona, G., Higenbottam, T.W., and Scott, J.P., 1991, Continuous intravenous infusion of prostacyclin (PGI2) improves survival in primary pulmonary hypertension [abstract]. Am. Rev. Respir. Dis. 143: A180.Google Scholar
- Gomez-Sanchez, M.A., Mestre, de Juan, M., Gomez-Pajuelo, C. et al, 1989, Pulmonary hypertension due to toxic oil syndrome. Chest. 95: 325.Google Scholar
- Luscher, T.F., 1992, Endothelin: Systemic arterial and pulmonary effects of a new peptide with potent biologic properties. Am. Rev. Respir. Dis. 146: 556.Google Scholar
- Pepke-Zaba, J., Higgenbottam, W., Tuan Ding-Xuan, A., Strong, D. and Wallwork, J., 1991, Inhaled nitric oxide as a cause of selective pulmonary vasodilation in pulmonary hypertension. Lancet 338: 447.Google Scholar
- Pietra, G.G., Edwards, W.D. and Kay, J.M., et al, 1989, Histopathology of pulmonary hypertension: a qualitative and quantitative study of pulmonary blood vessels from 58 patients in National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, Primary Pulmonary Hypertension Registry. Circulation 80: 1198.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Stelzner, T.J., O’Brien, R.F., Yanagisawa, M., Sakurai, T., Sato, K., Webb, S., Zamora, M., McMurtry, I.F. and Fisher, J.H., 1992, Increased lung endothelin-1 production in rats with idiopathic pulmonary hypertension. Am. J. Physiol L614.Google Scholar