Fractionation Effects of Oxygen Isotopes Within Interstitial Lung Disease
Up to now diffusion limitation versus ventilation-perfusion inhomogeneities are in dispute as the main reason for impairing pulmonary gas exchange within interstitial lung diseases (Finley et al., 1962, Wagner et al., 1976, Jernudd-Wilhelmsson et al., 1986, Agusti et al., 1987, Hempleman and Hughes, 1991, Hughes et al., 1991, Yamaguchi et al., 1991). In order to assess pulmonary gas transport, such methods as the estimation of the arterial partial pressure of oxygen during nitrogen washout (Finley et al., 1962), the multiple inert gas elimination technique (Wagner et al., 1976, Jernudd-Wilhelmsson et al., 1986, Agusti et al., 1987, Hughes et al., 1991, Yamaguchi et al., 1991) and the determination of the single breath diffusing capacity for carbon monoxide (Finley et al., 1962, Wagner et al., 1976, Hughes et al., 1991) have been applied.
KeywordsOxygen Isotope Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis Pulmonary Fibrosis Interstitial Lung Disease Fractionation Effect
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Agusti, A.G.N., Roca, J., Rodriguez-Roisin, R., Gea, J., Xaubet, A., and Wagner, RD., 1987, Role of 02 diffusion limitation in idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis, Am. Rev. Respir. Dis. 135:A307.Google Scholar
- Cotes, J. E., 1982, The.transfer factor (diffusing capacity), in “Standardized lung function testing” (Quanjer Ph. H., Editor), Report of the European Community for Coal and Steel, Luxembourg.Google Scholar
- Quanjer, Ph.H., 1982, Standardized lung function testing, in: Working party “Standardization of lung function tests” of the European community for Coal and Steel, Ph.H. Quanjer, ed., Luxembourg.Google Scholar
- Schuster, K.-D., Pflug, K.P., Forstel, H., and Pichotka, J.R, 1979, Adaptation of respiratory mass spectrometer to continuous recording of abundance ratios of stable oxygen isotopes, in: “Recent developments in mass spectrometry in biochemistry and medicine”, 2:451–462, A. Frigerio, ed., Plenum Publishing Corp., New York.Google Scholar
- Schuster, K.-D. and Heller, H., 1994, Model analysis of oxygen isotope fractionation in humans due to disturbances of pulmonary gas exchange, Adv. Exp. Med. Biol, this volume.Google Scholar