Molecular etiology of factor VIII deficiency in hemophilia A
The gene for factor VIII (F.VIII) is located on the human X chromosome; and, consequently hemophilia A is a classic example of X-linked recessive inheritance. It occurs almost exclusively in males who have only one X chromosome; females with one abnormal F.VIII gene are asymptomatic carriers because the other X chromosome contains a normal gene. The frequency of the disorder is 1–2 in 10,000 male births in all ethnic groups. The severity and frequency of bleeding in the patients correlates with the F.VIII activity in plasma (Rizza et al., 1983; Hoyer, 1987).
KeywordsFactor VIII Factor Viii Deficiency Factor Viii Gene Mild Hemophilia Partial Inversion
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Antonarakis SE, Kazazian HH Jr. Hemophilias, in Brock DJH, Rodeck CH, Ferguson-Smith MA eds. “Prenatal Diagnosis and Screening” Churchill Livingstone, Edinburgh, pp 477–481, 1992.Google Scholar
- Higuchi M, Antonarakis SE, Kasch L, Oldenburg J, Economou-Petersen E, Olek K, Inaba H, Kazazian HH. Towards a complete characterization of mild to moderate Hemophilia A: detection of the molecular defect in 25 of 29 patients by denaturing gradient gel electrophoresis. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 88: 8307–8311, 1991a.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Higuchi M, Kazazian HH, Kasch L, Warren TC, McGinniss MJ, Phillips JA, Kasper C, Janeo R, Antonarakis SE. Molecular characterization of severe Hemophilia A suggests that about half the mutations are not within the coding region and splice junctions of the factor VIII gene. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 88: 7405–7409, 1991b.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Leyte A, van Schijndel HB, Niehrs C, Huttner WB, Verbeet MP et al. Sulfation ofTyrl680 of human blood coagulation factor VIII is essential for the interaction of factor VIII with von Willebrand factor. J Biol Chem 266: 17572–17576, 1991.Google Scholar
- Peake IR, Lillicrap DP, Boulyjenkov V, Briët E, Chan V, Ginter EK, Kraus EM, Ljung R, Mannucci PM, Nicolaides K, Tuddenham EGD. Report of a joint WHO/WFH meeting on the control of haemophilia: carrier detection and prenatal diagnosis. Blood Coagulation and Fibrinolysis 4: 313–344, 1993.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Scandella D, Mattingly M, de Graaf S, Fulcher CA. Localization of epitopes for human factor VIII inhibitor antibodies by immunoblotting and antibody neutralization. Blood 74: 1618–1626, 1990.Google Scholar
- Sultan Y. Prevalence of inhibitors in a population of 3435 Hemophilia patients in France. Thromb Haemostas 67: 600–602, 1992.Google Scholar
- Tuddenham EGD, Cooper DN, Gitschier J, Higuchi M, Hoyer L, Yoshioka A, Peaker I, Schwaab R, Olek K, Kazazian H, Lavergne J-M, Giannelli F, Antonarakis S. Haemophilia A: database of nucleotide substitutions, deletions, insertions and rearrangements of the factor VIII gene. Nucl Acid Res 19: 4821–4833, 1991.CrossRefGoogle Scholar