Porcine factor VIII therapy in patients with factor VIII inhibitors
A review is presented of the use of porcine factor VIII (F.VIII) in patients with F.VIII inhibitors and acquired or congenital hemophilia. This review is drawn partly from the published literature and partly from an international survey of the use of porcine F.VIII in patients with congenital hemophilia conducted under the auspices of the ISTH F.VIII and IX scientific standardization subcommittee. The treatment of congenital and acquired hemophilia are compared, since they differ in a number of important respects.
KeywordsPlatelet Count Factor VIII Bleeding Episode Home Therapy Inhibitor Titer
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Kernoff PBA, Thomas ND, Iilley PA, Clinical experience with polyelectrolytefractionated porcine FVIII concentrate in the treatment of haemophiliacs with antibodies to factor VIIL Blood 1984, 63; 31 – 41.Google Scholar
- 4.Morrison AE, Ludlam CA, Kessler C, Use of porcine factor VIII in the treatment of patients with acquired hemophilia. Blood 1993, 81; (6): 1513–1520.Google Scholar
- 6.Lozier JN, Santagostino E, Kasper CK, Teitel JM, Hay CRM, The use of porcine factor VIII for surgical procedures in haemophilia A patients with inhibitors. Seminars in Hematology, 1993, 30; (2): supp 1; 10–21.Google Scholar
- 8.Gringeri A, Santagostino E, Tradati F, Giangrande PLF, Mannucci PM, Adverse effects of treatment with porcine factor VIIL Thrombosis and Haemostasis 1991, 65; 245 – 247.Google Scholar
- 9.. Kernoff PBA, The factor Vlll-related antigen and antibodies to factor VIII. MD Thesis, University of London 1974.Google Scholar
- 11.Fukui H, Yoshioka A, Shima M, Mori K, Yorifuji H, et al. Multicenter clinical trial of a highly purified porcine factor VIII concentrate (MTI-9002 (Hyate.C)) in haemophilia A patients with inhibitors. Japanese J Thrombosis and Haemostasis 1991,2; (6): 487–50.Google Scholar