Wave Propagation in the Ice-Covered Ocean Wave Guide and Operator Polynomials
Wave propagation in a 2D ocean wave guide covered by a thin ice layer is considered. Various models of ice cover are used (pack ice, solid ice, ice with surface tension, etc.), and the eigenfunctions of the transverse cross—section are analyzed. For each model of ice, an operator polynomial equation for eigenfunctions is derived. It is proved that, for non—critical frequencies, the eigenfunctions form a basis in a suitable Hilbert space. At the critical frequencies, a chain of associated functions might appear. The method is based on some (known) results from the abstract operator theory and some orthogonality relations for eigenfunctions.
KeywordsPropa Nite Acoustics Boris
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- B.P. Belinskiy: Boundary-contact problem of acoustics in an infinite domain. Soviet Phys. Doklady 30 (1985), 560–562.Google Scholar
- B.P. Belinskiy: Ice-covered ocean wave guides and operator polynomials. Abstracts of Papers Presented to the 936th Meeting of the AMS, Wake Forest Univ., Winston-Salem, North Carolina, October 9–10, 462, 1998.Google Scholar
- B.P. Belinskiy, J.P. Dauer: Mathematical aspects of wave phenomena in a wave guide with elastic walls and operator polynomials. Festschrift Volumes for H. Uberall, World Scientific, Singapore, to appear. Google Scholar
- B.P. Belinskiy, J.P. Dauer: Wave phenomena in a wave guide with elastic walls: abstract differential equation formulation. Proceedings of the Symposium on Volterra Equations,to appear.Google Scholar
- B.P. Belinskiy, J.P. Dauer: On a regular Sturm - -Liouville problem on a finite interval with the eigenvalue parameter appearing linearly in the boundary conditions. Spectral theory and computational methods of Sturm — —Liouville problem. Eds. D. Hinton and P.W. Schaefer, 1997.Google Scholar
- Cg. Greenhild: Scattering on the thin ice. The Lond. Edinb. and Dubl. Phil. Mag. and J. of Sci., 31, 1916.Google Scholar
- J.B. Keller, M. Weitz: Reflection and transmission coefficients for waves entering or leaving an ice field. Comm. Pure Appl. Math. 415–417, 1953.Google Scholar
- O.A. Ladyzhenskaia: The boundary value problems of mathematical physics. Springer-Verlag, New York, 1985.Google Scholar
- M. Reed, B. Simon: Methods of modern math. physics 3: Scattering theory. Academic Press, New York, 1979.Google Scholar