The Rectilinear Steiner Tree Problem: A Tutorial
We give a tutorial on the rectilinear Steiner tree problem in the plane. First, fundamental structural results are given with full proofs. Then, recent exact algorithms allowing the solution of problem instances with several thousand terminals are presented, and finally we review some of the many heuristics proposed for the problem.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- D. Cieslik. The Steiner Ratio. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Boston, (to appear).Google Scholar
- F. K. Hwang, D. S. Richards, and P. Winter. The Steiner Tree Problem. Annals of Discrete Mathematics 53. Elsevier Science Publishers, Netherlands, 1992.Google Scholar
- I. Mandoiu, V. V. Vazirani, and J. L. Ganley. A New Heuristic for Rectilinear Steiner Trees. IEEE Transactions on CAD, 19:1129–1139, 2000.Google Scholar
- E. Uchoa, M. Poggi de Aragão, and C. Ribeiro. Preprocessing Steiner Problems from VLSI Layout. Technical Report MCC. 32/99, PUC-Rio, Brazil, 1999.Google Scholar
- D. M. Warme. Spanning Trees in Hypergraphs with Applications to Steiner Trees. PhD thesis, Computer Science Dept., The University of Virginia, 1998.Google Scholar
- D. M. Warme, P. Winter, and M. Zachariasen. Exact Algorithms for Plane Steiner Tree Problems: A Computational Study. In D.-Z. Du, J. M. Smith, and J. H. Rubinstein, editors, Advances in Steiner Trees, pages 81–116. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Boston, 2000.Google Scholar
- D. M. Warme, P. Winter, and M. Zachariasen. GeoSteiner 3.1. Department of Computer Science, University of Copenhagen (DIKU), URL http://www.diku.dk/geosteiner/.,2001.
- A. Z. Zelikovsky. An 11/8-approximation Algorithm for the Steiner Problem on Networks with Rectilinear Distance. In Janos Bolyai Math-ematica Societatis Conf.: Sets, Graphs, and Numbers, pages 733–745, 1991.Google Scholar