Image Segmentation and Pattern Recognition: A Novel Concept, the Histogram of Connected Elements
The segmentation process is a crucial step in any computer-based vision system or application, due to its inherent difficulty and the importance of its results, which are decisive for the global efficiency of the vision system. The objective of segmentation is to individualize any different regions present in any particular image. Our main concern in this chapter is to model the image segmentation process as a pattern recognition problem, which, as an important practical corollary, implies that any method or technique from the pattern recognition field can, in principle, be applied to solve the segmentation problem in any computer-based vision system or application.
KeywordsImage Segmentation Markov Random Field Segmentation Process Discriminant Feature Discriminant Variable
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- R.M. Haralick, L.G. Shapiro, Computer and Robot Vision, Vol I ( Addison-Wesley, Reading, Mass., 1992 ).Google Scholar
- M. Sonka, V. Hlavac, R. Boyle, Image Processing, Analysis and Machine Vision, Second Edition (PWS Publishing, Pacific Grove, Ca., 1999 ).Google Scholar
- A. Rosenfeld, C. Kak, Digital Picture Processing, Second Edition, Vol. 2 (Academic Press, 1982 ).Google Scholar
- J.A. Richards, X. Jia, Remote Sensing Digital Image Analysis, Third Edition (Springer, 1999 ).Google Scholar
- R. Chelappa, A. Jain, Markov Random Fields. Theory and Applications, (Academic Press, 1993 ).Google Scholar
- S.Z. Li, Markov Random Fields Modeling in Image Analysis, (Springer, 2001 ).Google Scholar
- J.R. Parker, Algorithms for Images Processing and Computer Vision, (John Wiley and Sons, 1997 ).Google Scholar
- S.J. Sangwine, R.E.N. Horne (eds.), The Colour Image Processing Handbook, ( Kluwer Academic Publishers, Boston, 1998 ).Google Scholar
- M.D. Levine, Vision in Man and Machine, ( Mc Graw-Hill, New York, 1985 ).Google Scholar
- M.A. Patricio and D. Maravall, A Novel Concept: the Connected Elements Histogram and its Application to Document Binarization, In Proc. of the IX Spanish Symposium on Pattern Recognition and Image Analysis, Vol. I (2001) pp. 43–48.Google Scholar