The Role of Proactivity in Wireless and Ad Hoc Networks
The vast strides made in VLSI technology and the emergence of the Internet as a global communication infrastructure undoubtedly rank amongst the most profound developments of recent times. Advances in VLSI have made computer hardware faster, cheaper, smaller, and lighter with each passing year. Not only has this made computers more useful and affordable, it has also made them easily portable so that more and more people are beginning to carry them (in the form of PDAs, electronic organizers or notebooks, web-enabled cell-phones, etc.) on an almost permanent basis.
KeywordsExplosive Encapsulation Tempo Tocol Corson
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- T. Goff, J. Moronski, D. S. Phatak, and V. Gupta, “ Freeze-TCP: a true end-to-end TCP enhancement mechanism for mobile environments,” in Proceedings of the IEEE INFO COM’2000, Tel-Aviv, Israel, vol. 3, pp. 1537–1545, Mar. 2000.Google Scholar
- T. Goff, N. Abu-Ghazaleh, D. S. Phatak, and R. Kahvecioglu, “Preemptive Routing in Ad Hoc Networks,” in Proceedings of the ACM MOВICOM’2001, Rome,, pp. 43–52, July. 2001.Google Scholar
- T. Goff, N. Abu-Ghazaleh, D. S. Phatak, and R. Kahvecioglu, “Preemptive Routing in Ad Hoc Networks,” Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing (JPDC), Special issue on mobile and Wireless Networks. To Appear.Google Scholar
- C. Perkins, Editor, IP Mobility Support, October 1996. RFC 2002.Google Scholar
- C. Perkins, IP Encapsulation within IP, October 1996. RFC 2003.Google Scholar
- C. Perkins, Minimal Encapsulation within IP, October 1996. RFC 2004.Google Scholar
- J. Solomon, Applicability Statement for IP Mobility Support, October 1996. RFC 2005.Google Scholar
- C. Chiang, M. Gerla, and L. Zhang, “Routing in clustered multihop, mobile wireless networks with fading channel,” in Proceedings of IEEE SICON 97, pp. 197–211, April 1997.Google Scholar
- P. Jacquet, P. Muhlethaler, T. Clausen, A. Laoulti, A. Qayyum, and L. Viennot, “Optimized link state routing protocol for ad hoc networks,” in IEEE INMIC 2001, pp. 62–68, December 2001.Google Scholar
- S. Murthy and J. J. Garcia-Luna-Aceves, “An Efficient Routing Protocol for Wireless Networks,” ACM Mobile Networks and Applications Journal, pp. 183–197, Oct. 1996.Google Scholar
- G. Pei and M. Gerla, “Fisheye state routing in mobile ad hoc networks,” in Proceedings of ICC 2000, pp. D71–D78, 2000. Internet Draft available at: http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-manet-fsr-00.txt.
- D. Johnson, D. Maltz, Y. Hu, and J. Jetcheva, “The dynamic source routing protocol for mobile ad hoc networks.” Internet Draft, Internet Engineering Task Force, March 2001. http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-istf-manet-dsr-05.txt.
- V. Park and S. Corson, “Temporally-ordered routing algorithm (TORA) version 1 functional specification.” Internet Draft, Internet Engineering Task Force, November 2000. http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-manet-tora-spec-03.txt.
- C. Perkins, E. Royer, and S. Das, “Ad hoc on-demand distance vector (AODV) routing.” Internet Draft, Internet Engineering Task Force, March 2001. http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-manet-aodv-08.txt.
- W. R. Stevens, TCP/IP Illustrated, Volume 1. Addison Wesley, 1994.Google Scholar
- J. Postel, Transmission Control Protocol, Sep 1981. RFC 0793.Google Scholar
- E. R. Braden, Requirements for Internet Hosts - Communication Layers, October 1989. RFC 1122.Google Scholar
- H. Balakrishnan, V. N. Padmanabhan, and R. Katz, “Improving Reliable Transport and Handoff Performance in Cellular Wireless Networks,” Wireless Networks, vol. 1, Dec. 1995.Google Scholar
- H. Balakrishnan, V. N. Padmanabhan, S. Seshan, and R. Katz, “A Comparison of Mechanisms for Improving TCP performance over wireless links,” in Proceedings of ACM SIGCOMM’96, Palo Alto, CA, pp. 256–269, Aug 1996.Google Scholar
- A. Bakre and B. Badrinath, “I-TCP: Indirect TCP for mobile hosts,” tech. rep., Rutgers University, May 1995. http://www.cs.Rutgers.edu/~badri/journal/contentsll.html.
- R. Yavatkar and N. Bhagawat, “Improving end-to-end performance of tcp over mobile internetworks,” in IEEE Workshop on Mobile Computing Systems and Applications, ( Santa Cruz, CA, US ), Dec. 1994. http://snapple.cs.washington.edu/mobile/mcsa94.html.
- R. Cceres and L. Iftode, “Improving the performance of reliable transport protocols in mobile computing environments,” IEEE JSAC Special Issue on Mobile Computing Network, 1994. http://www.cs.rutgers.edu/~badri/journal/contents11.html.
- M. Mehta and N. H. Vaidya, “Delayed duplicate acknowledgments: A proposal to improve performance of tcp on wireless links,” tech. rep., Texas A&M University, Dec. 1997. http://www.cs.tamu.Edu/facuity/vaidya/Vaidya-mobile.html.
- N. Vaidya. Overview of work in mobile-computing (trans- parencies) available at http://http://www.cs.tanxu.edu/facuity/vaidya/slides.ps.
- K. Brown and S. Singh, “M-TCP: TCP for Mobile Cellular Networks,” ACM Computer Communications Review (CCR), vol. 27, no. 5, 1997.Google Scholar
- G. Montenegro and S. Dawkins, “Wireless Networking for the MNCRS, Internet Draft, work in progress,” Aug. 1998. http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-montenegro-mncrs-OO.txt.
- S. S. Rappaport, Wireless Communication Systems. Prentice Hall, 1996.Google Scholar
- Lucent Technologies, WaveLAN/PCMCIA Card User’s Guide. Google Scholar
- Federal Communications Commission (FCC), Enhanced 911 (?911) mandate, 2001 http://www.fcc.gov/911/enhanced.
- G. Holland and N. H. Vaidya, “Analysis of TCP Performance over Mobile Ad Hoc Networks,” in Proceedings of MOBICOM, Seattle, Aug. 1999.Google Scholar
- S. Biaz and N. H. Vaidya, “Distinguishing Congestion Losses from Wireless Transmission Losses,” in 7th International Conference on Computer Communications and Networks (IC3N), New Orleans, Oct 1998.Google Scholar
- N. Vaidya, “Tutorial on TCP for Wireless and Mobile Hosts.” Presented at MobiCom ‘89, 1999. http://www.crhc.uiuc.edu/nhv/seminars/tcp-wireless-tutorial.ppt.
- M. Gerla, K. Tang, and R. Bagrodia, “TCP performance in wireless multi-hop networks,” in Proceedings of IEEE WMCSA 99, New Orleans, LA, February 1999.Google Scholar
- R. Castaneda and S. Das, “Query localization techniques for on-demand routing protocols in Ad Hoc networks,” in Proceedings of the International Conference on Mobile Computing and Networking (MobiCom 99), August 1999.Google Scholar
- Y. Ko and N. H. Vaidya, “Location-Aided Routing (LAR) Mobile Ad Hoc Networks,” in Proceedings of MOВICOM’98, Dallas, Oct. 1998.Google Scholar
- UCB/LBNL/VINT Network Simulator, web-site http://www-mash.CS.Berkeley.EDU/ns.
- NS-2 with Wireless and Mobility Extensions, available via web-site http://www.monarch.cs.cmu.edu
- J. Broch, D. A. Maltz, D. B. Johnson, Y.-C. Hu, and J. Jetcheva, “A Performance Comparison of Multi-Hop Wireless Ad Hoc Network Routing Protocols,” in Proceedings of ACM/IEEE MOВICOM’98 Dallas, Oct. 1998.Google Scholar
- D. A. Maltz, J. Broch, J. Jetcheva, and D. B. Johnson, “The Effects of On-Demand Behavior in Routing Protocols for Multi-Hop Wireless Ad Hoc Networks,” IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, pecial issue on mobile and wireless networks, Aug. 1999.Google Scholar
- J. Geier, Wireless LANs: Implementing Interoperable Networks. McMillan Technical Publishing, 1999.Google Scholar
- M. Allman, V. Paxson, and W. Stevens, TCP Congestion Control, April 1999. RFC 2581.Google Scholar
- K. Ramakrishnan, S. Floyd, and D. Black, The Addition of Explicit Congestion Notification (ECN) to IP, September 2001. RFC 3168.Google Scholar
- R. Ramani and A. Karandikar, “Explicit Congestion Notification (ECN) in TCP Over Wireless Network,” in IEEE International Conference on Personal Wireless Communications, pp. 495–499, December 2000.Google Scholar
- F. Peng, S. Cheng, and J. Ma, “An Effective Way to Improve TCP Performance in Wireless/Mobile Networks,” in IEEE/AFCEA EURO-COMM 2000. Information Systems for Enhanced Public Safety and Security., pp. 250–255, May 2000.Google Scholar