Marrow Allograft Survival in W/Wv Anemic Mice: Effects on Skin Graft Survival and Effects of Preimmunization
The necessity in marrow transplantation of matching donor and recipient for the major histocompatibility locus has been well established (13,14). It is possible, however, that antigenic disparities determined by other loci are also important in marrow grafting. Thus, the W-anemic mouse recipients of marrow grafts offer a valuable method to explore this problem, because their hemopoietic systems can be completely populated (10,11) and their immunopoietic systems mostly populated (5) by grafts of histocompatible normal donor cells. This occurs without irradiation or other treatment of the recipients (reviewed in ref. 12). Thus, the immune responses of W-anemic recipients are intact, and they are as effective in skin graft rejections (6) and in life long responses to sheep erythrocytes and phytohemagglutinin (PHA) (4,9) as are the immune responses of normal mice.
KeywordsFiltration Leukemia Anemia Allo Erythro
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Bailey, D. W. Genetics of histocompatibility in mice. I. New loci and congenic lines. Immunogenetics, 2:249,Google Scholar
- 4.Harrison, D. E. Genetically defined animals valuable in testing aging of erythroid and lymphoid stem cells and microenvironments. In Bergsma, D., and Harrison, D. E., eds., Genetic Effects on Aging. National Foundation Original Article Series Volume XIV, Number 1, New York: A. R. Liss, 1978, p. 187.Google Scholar
- 8.Micklem, H. S., and Loutit, J. K. Tissue Grafting and Radiation. New York: Academic Press, 1966.Google Scholar
- 12.Russell, E. S. Abnormalities of erythropoiesis associated with mutant genes in mice. In Gordon, A. S. ed., Regulation of Hematopoiesis. New York: Appleton Century-Crofts, 1970.Google Scholar
- 13.Snell, J. D., Dausset, J., and Nathenson, S., Histocompatibility. New York: Academic Press, 1976.Google Scholar
- 14.Thomas, E. D., Fefer, A., Buckner, C. D., and Storb, R. Current status of bone marrow transplantation for aplastic anemia and acute leukemia. Blood, 49: 611, 1977.Google Scholar