Nutrient Intake, Lipids, and Lipoproteins in 6–19-Year-Old Schoolchildren
Dietary intake of cholesterol, saturated and polyunsaturated fats, and (perhaps) carbohydrates and total calories may relate to lipid and lipoprotein levels and to the ultimate development of coronary heart disease (CHD) (InterSociety Commision, 1970; National Diet Heart Study 1968; Connor and Connor 1972). However, the strength, consistency, and predictability of nutrient-CHD risk associations remains controversial (Mann 1977; Glueck et al. 1978).
KeywordsPlasma Cholesterol Dietary Cholesterol Total Calorie Daily Nutrient Intake Lipid Research Clinic
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Gam SM, Larkin FA, Cole PE (1978) The real problem with one day records. Am J Clin Nutr 31: 1114–1116Google Scholar
- Glueck CJ, McGill H, Shank R, Laue R (1978b) The value and safety of diet modification to control hyperlipidemia in childhood and adolescence. American Heart Association, Position Statement. Circulation 58:A381–385Google Scholar
- Lipid Research Clinics Program (1974) Reference Manual for Lipid Research Clinics Program Prevalence Study. University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, Central Patient Registry and Coordinating Center for Lipid Research Clinics, Department of BiostatisticsGoogle Scholar
- Lipid Research Clinics Program (1979) Nutrition data collection in the LRC and MRFIT programs. Collaborative manuscript of the Lipid Research Clinics, in preparation.Google Scholar
- Morrison JA, Larsen R, Glatfelter L, Boggs D, Burton K, Smith C, Kelly KA, Mellies MJ, Khoury P, Glueck CJ (1979) Interrelationships between nutrient intake and plasma lipids and lipoproteins in schoolchildren, ages 6–19: The Princeton School District Study. Pediatrics, in pressGoogle Scholar
- Primary Prevention of the Arteriosclerotic Disease (1970) Report of the InterSociety Commission for Heart Disease Resources. Circulation 42: A55–A95Google Scholar
- The American Heart Association. (1968) The National Diet-Heart Study, Final Report. Circulation 37-38(Suppl 1): 1–125Google Scholar