Prostacyclin and Atherosclerosis—A Hypothesis
In 1976 we discovered (Bunting et al. 1976; Gryglewski et al. 1976; Moncada et al. 1976 a,b) that prostaglandin (PG) endoperoxides are transformed by arterial microsomes to an unstable substance with anti-aggregatory and vasodilator properties. This new lipid factor was called PGX, and when it was later synthesized its name was changed to prostacyclin (PGI2) (Johnson et al. 1976). Prostacyclin spontaneously decomposes to a biologically inactive prostaglandin. In extravasated blood at 37°C the half life of prostacyclin is 3 min (Dusting et al. 1978).
KeywordsArterial Wall Atherosclerotic Plaque Formation Experimental Atherosclerosis Prostaglandin Endoperoxide Unstable Substance
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Angelo V, Myśliwiec M, Donati MB, Gaetan G (1978) Defective fibrynolytic and prostacyclin-like activity in human atheromatous plaques. Thrombos Haemostas 39: 535–536Google Scholar
- Dembińska-Kieć A, Rücker W, Schönhofer PS (1979a) Effects of dipyridamole in experimental atherosclerosis: Action of PGI2, platelet aggregation and atherosclerotic plaque formation. Atherosclerosis, in pressGoogle Scholar
- Dembińska-Kieć A, Rücker W, Schönhofer PS (1979b) Atherosclerosis decreases prostacyclin synthesis in rabbit lungs and kidneys. Prostaglandins, in pressGoogle Scholar
- Dembińska-Kieć A, Rücker W, Schönhofer PS (1979c) Effects of dipyridamole in vivo on ATP and c-AMP content in platelets and arterial walls and on atherosclerotic plaque formation. Naunyn-Schmiedeberg’s Arch Pharmacol, in pressGoogle Scholar
- Dusting GJ, Moncada S, Vane JR (1978) Recirculation of prostacyclin (PGI2) in the dog. Br J Pharmacol 63: 315–320Google Scholar
- Gryglewski RJ, Korbut R, Splawiński J (1979) Endogenous mechanisms which regulate prostacyclin release. Haemostasis, in pressGoogle Scholar
- Moncada S, Herman AG, Hihhs EA, Vane JR (1977) Differential formation of prostacyclin (PGX or PGI2) by layers of the arterial wall. An explanation for anti-thrombotic properties of vascular endothelium. Thromb Res 11: 323–344Google Scholar
- Numan F (1977) Progression and regression of atherosclerosis. Asian Med J 20: 625–644Google Scholar
- Olsson AG, Jogestran T (1978) Effects of prostaglandin E1 in peripheral artery disease. In: Carlson LA, Paoletti R, Sirtori CR, Weber G (eds) Atherosclerosis. Raven Press, New York, pp 403–411Google Scholar
- Silberbauer K, Sinzinger H, Winte M (1979) Prostacyclin activity in rat kidney stimulated by angiotensin II. Br J Exp Path 60: 38–44Google Scholar