Is Lymphoma of the Thyroid a Disease Which Is Increasing in Frequency?
It has been said that primary lymphoma of the thyroid gland is rare.1–9 The number of cases reported in the world literature has been cited at approximately 250.9 Although this is probably an underestimate, it is a general indication of the frequency of this disease. Most of the tumors are histiocytic or lymphocytic lymphomas. Primary involvement of the thyroid gland by Hodgkin’s disease is truly exceedingly rare.10 The diagnoses have almost always been made retrospectively after operations for different presumptive diagnoses.
KeywordsThyroid Cancer Thyroid Gland Needle Biopsy Thyroid Nodule Malignant Lymphoma
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 11.Hamburger JI, Miller JM, Kini SR: Clinical-Pathological Evaluation of Thyroid Nodules. Handbook and Atlas. Private publication, Southfield, 1979, p 65Google Scholar
- 13.Hamburger JI, Miller JM, Kini SR: Clinical-Pathological Evaluation of Thyroid Nodules. Handbook and Atlas. Private publication, Southfield, 1979, pp 10–19Google Scholar
- 17.Smithers D: Malignant lymphomas of the thyroid gland. In Smithers D (ed): Monographs on Neoplastic Disease, Vol. VI. Tumors of the Thyroid Gland. Edinburgh, Livingstone, 1970, pp 141–154Google Scholar
- 22.Cumpagno J, Ortell JE: Malignant lymphoma and other lymphoproliferative disorders of the thyroid gland. Am J Clin Pathol 74:1, 1980Google Scholar
- 24.Graham A: Riedel’s struma in contrast to struma lymphomatosa (Hashimoto). West J Surg 39:681, 1931Google Scholar
- 25.Crosby EH, Graham A: Mediastinal dermoid cyst containing pancreatic tissue simulating intrathoracic goiter. Cleve Clin Q 1:68, 1932Google Scholar
- 27.Hazard JM, Schildecker WW: Plasmacytoma of the thyroid. Am J Pathol 25:819, 1949Google Scholar
- 29.Lieberman PH, Foote FW, Schottenfeld D: A study of the pathology of thyroid cancer, 1930–1960. MSKCC Clin Bull 2:7, 1972Google Scholar
- 30.Meissner WH: Pathology of the thyroid. In Werner SC, Ingbar SH (eds): The Thyroid. New York, Harper & Row, 1971, pp 343–363Google Scholar
- 32.CA 25:8, 1975Google Scholar
- 34.Miller JM, Hamburger JI, Kini SR: The needle biopsy diagnosis of papillary thyroid carcinoma. Cancer (in press)Google Scholar