NH2-Terminal Sequence of the Clostripain and NBS Peptides of Streptococcal M5 Protein Purified in One Step by HPLC
M protein, the antiphagocytic surface molecule of the Group A streptococcus is a type specific, imiriuno logic ally diverse molecule. We have shown that the molecular characteristics of M proteins and the seven residue periodicity within their partial sequences are similar to those found in tropomyosin suggesting an alpha-helical coiled-coil structure for these molecules (1, 2). To determine if the seven residue periodicity extends throughout the molecule, sequence studies have been undertaken on a biologically active 19,000 dalton M protein fragment, namely Pep M5, isolated by limited proteolysis of the type 5 streptococci with pepsin (3).
KeywordsHigh Performance Liquid Chromatography High Performance Liquid Chromatography Peptide Bond Limited Proteolysis Chemical Cleavage
- 1.Phillips, G.N., Jr., Flicker, P.F., Cohen, C., Manjula, B.N. and Fischetti, V.A. (1981) Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 78: 4689–4693.Google Scholar
- 2.Manjula, B.N. and Fischetti, V.A. (1980) J. Immunol. 151: 695–708.Google Scholar
- 3.Manjula, B.N. and Fischetti, V.A. (1980) J. Exp. Med. 124: 261–267.Google Scholar
- 4.Mitchell, W.M. (1977) Meth. Enzymol. 47: 283–299.Google Scholar
- 5.Ramachandran, L.K. and Witkop, B. (1969) Meth. Enzymol. 11: 283–299.Google Scholar