A New Computer-Aided Method for Sequencing a Polypeptide from the Masses and Edman-Degradation of its Constituent Peptide Fragments
Recently Edman degradation  has been greatly improved and refined for determination of the amino acid sequences of peptides and proteins in subnanomolar quantities, particularly by use of an improved automated sequencer . However, the method generally requires the purification of peptide mixtures generated from the polypeptide or protein to be sequenced. During the past 3 years, we elaborated a method [3,4] for sequencing peptide mixtures, that does not require their purification, by a combination of field- desorption mass spectrometry (FD-MS) and Edman degradation, because the separation and purification of peptide mixtures are still time consuming and tedious procedures.
KeywordsHPLC Phenyl Pyridine Polypeptide Nitrile
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Edman, P. and Henschen, A. (1975) in Protein Sequence Determination, Needlemann,S. B. ed., 2nd edn., Springer-Verlag, Berlin, pp. 232–279.Google Scholar
- Shimonishi, Y., Hong, Y.-M., Matsuo, T., Katakuse, I. and Matsuda, H.(1979) Chem.Lett. 1369.Google Scholar
- Kitagishi, T., Hong, Y.-M., Takao, T., Aimoto, S. and Shimonishi, Y. Bull. Chem. Soc. Jpn. to be submitted.Google Scholar
- Matsuda, H. (1976) Atomic Masses Fundam. Constants 5, 185.Google Scholar
- Morita, T., Hara, S. and Matsushima, Y. (1978) J. Biochem. (Tokyo) 83, 893.Google Scholar