Introduction and Description of Experimental Ecosystems
The Symposium on Enclosed Marine Experimental Ecosystems took place over 4 days between 13-16 August 1980 at the Institute of Ocean Sciences, which overlooks Saanich Inlet (Sidney, British Columbia, Canada). The location was the site of the CEPEX program (Controlled Ecosystem Pollution, later Populations, Experiment) during its 6 years of operation and had come to be associated with large enclosure work in the minds of many Symposium attendees, either through direct participation, or as visitors over this period. The Symposium was sponsored by the U.S. National Science Foundation as part of its final year of support to the CEPEX program and by the Canadian Research Council. The gathering attracted about 100 participants from 9 countries, and 45 papers were presented.
KeywordsDirect Participation Enclosure Experiment Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution National Technical Information 10th European Symposium
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- J. P. Giesy, Jr., Ed. 1980. Microcosms in ecological research. DOE Symposium Series 52, CONF-781101. National Technical Information Service, Springfield, Va. Google Scholar
- G. D. Grice, R. P. Harris, M. R. Reeve, J. F. Heinbokel, and C. O. Davis. 1980. Large scale enclosed water column ecosystem. An overview of Foodweb I, the final CEPEX experiment. J. Mar. Bioi. Assoc. U.K. 60: 401–414.Google Scholar
- D. W. Menzel, and J. Case. 1977. Concept and design: Controlled ecosystem pollution experiment. Bull. Mar. Sci. 27: 1–7.Google Scholar
- S. W. Nixon, D. Alonso, M. E. Q. Pilson, and B. A. Buckley. 1980. Turbulent mixing in aquatic microcosms. In J. P. Giesy, Jr., Ed., Microcosms in ecological research. DOE Symposium Series 52, CONF-78 1101. National Technical Information Service, Springfield, Va., pp. 818–849.Google Scholar
- V. Øiestad, B. Ellerton, P. Solemdal, and S. Tilseth. 1976. Rearing of different species of marine fish fry in a constructed basin. 10th European symposium on marine biology, Ostend, Belgium. September 17-23, 1975, 1: 303–329.Google Scholar