How Many People Have Ever Lived?
Can the total number of people who have ever lived on the Earth be estimated in some reasonable way? This fascinating question has been the subject of a number of papers, the first by Winkler , others by Deevey , Desmond et al , Keyfitz , and the most recent by Westing . Curiously enough, the two-page article by Keyfitz and the estimate obtained therein found their way into the Information Please Almanac  under the title “How Many Earth People Have There Been?”
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Biraben, J. N., “An Essay Concerning Mankind’s Evolution,” Population Selected Papers No. 4 (Dec. 1980), 1–13; translated from Population, vol. 34 (1979), 13–25.Google Scholar
- 4.Desmond, A., et a1, “How Many People Have Ever Lived On Earth?,” Population Bulletin, vol. XVm (Feb. 1962), 1–19.Google Scholar
- 6.Information Please Almanac 1974, New York: Simon & Schuster, 1973.Google Scholar
- 8.Keyfitz, N., Introduction to the Mathematics of Population, Reading Mass.: Addison-Wesley, 1968.Google Scholar
- 9.Keyfitz, N. and W. Flieger, World Population: An Analysis of Vital Data, Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1968.Google Scholar
- 12.UN Dept. Int’l. Econ. & Soc. Affairs, Publication no. ST/ESA/SER.A/70, World Population Trends and Policies, 1979 Monitoring Report, vol. 1 (Population Trends), New York: United Nations, 1980.Google Scholar
- 13.Westing, A. H., “A Note On How Many Humans That Have Ever Lived,” Bioscience, vol. 31 (July-Aug. 1981), 523–524. See also “A New Grand, Grand Population Total,” Intercom, vol. 9 (Oct. 1981), 6 and the Correction in Intercom, vol. 9 (Nov./Dec. 1981), 14.Google Scholar
- 14.Wilford, J. N., “9 Percent Of Everyone Who Ever Lived Is Alive Now,” The New York Times, October 6, 1981, p.Cl.Google Scholar
- 15.Winkler, W., “Wieviele Menschen haben bisher auf der Erde gelebt?,” pp. 73–76 in International Population Conference, Vienna 1959, Vienna: Union Internationale pour l’Etude Scientifique de la Population, 1959.Google Scholar