Gas Chromatography for Analysis of Trace Amines in Tissues and Body Fluids
The application of gas chromatography to analysis of trace amines and their metabolites in tissues and body fluids is reviewed. Studies using techniques developed by the authors, i.e. acetylation followed by perfluoroacylation for electron-capture gas chromatography, are described in detail. The advantages and disadvantages of gas chromatography relative to other analytical techniques are outlined, and the possible future directions of gas chromatographic analysis of trace amines are discussed.
KeywordsTrace Amine Mass Fragmentography Nitrogen Detection Related Amine Pentafluoropropionic Anhydride
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Baker G. B., Calverley D. G., Dewhurst W. G., and Martin I. L. (1979) A sensitive gas chromatographic technique for quantification of urinary tryptamine. Br. J. Pharmac. 67, 469P–470 P.Google Scholar
- Calverley D. G., Baker G. B., McKim H. R., and Dewhurst W. G. (1980) A gas chromatograph technique using electron-capture detection for simultaneous estimation of tryptamine and 5-hydroxytryptamine in biological tissue. Can. J. Neurol. Sci. 7, 237.Google Scholar
- Cole W. J., Parkhouse J., and Yousef Y. Y. (1977) Application of the extractive alkylation technique to the pentafluorobenzoylation of morphine (a heroin meta-bolite) and surrogates, with special reference to the quantitative determination of plasma morphine levels using mass fragmentography. J. Chromatogr. 136, 409–416.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Cone E. J., Risner M. E., and Neidert G. L. (1978) Con-centrations of phenethylamine in dog following single doses and during intravenous self-administration. Res. Commun. Chem. Path. Pharmacol. 22, 211– 232.Google Scholar
- Coutts R. T., Baker G. B., and Calverley D. G. (1980) A rapid, sensitive method of measuring meta- and para-tyramine levels in urine using electron-capture gas chromatography. Res. Commun. Chem. Path. Pharmacol. 28, 177–184.Google Scholar
- Deo P. G. and Howard P. H. (1978) Phosphorylation of alcohols/phenols for gas-liquid chromatographic sep-aration and flame photometric detection. J. Offic. Anal. Chem. 61, 210–213.Google Scholar
- Doshi P. S. and Edwards D. J. (1979) Use of 2,6-dinitro- 4-trifluoromethylbenzenesulfonic acid as a novel derivatizing reagent for the analysis of catechol-amines, histamines and related amines by gas chroma-tography with electron-capture detection. J. Chromatogr. 176, 359–366.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Midha K. K., McGilveray I. J., and Cooper J. K. (1979) A GLC-ECD assay for simultaneous determination of fen-fluramine and norfenfluramine in human plasma and urine. Can. J. Pharm. Sci. 14, 18–21.Google Scholar
- Philips S. R., Durden D. A., and Boulton A. A. (1974a) Identification and distribution of jp-tyramine in the rat. Can. J. Biochem. 52, 336–373.Google Scholar
- Singh J., Cochrane W. P., and Scott J. (1979) Extractive acylation of ethylenethiourea from water. Bull. Environm. Contam. Toxicol. 23, 470–474.Google Scholar