A Comprehensive Analysis of Concurrency Control Performance for Centralized Databases
The behavior of concurrency control methods for centralized databases is investigated and evaluated on the basis of discrete-event simulation. The gained results give new insights concerning the quantitative overhead introduced by such synchronization methods. The establishment of a uniform cost measurement model enables a qualitative assessment and comparison of several competing methods, the (r, x) — (r, a, x) —, (r, a, c) — lockprotocol and the optimistic method. In particular, valuable results concerning the effective parallelism, the tradeoff between early and late serialization, real time overhead for cycle searching and lengths of cycles are presented. The simulation series are driven by synthetic transaction workloads and also by a real reference string. Finally, the impact of these results on the selection of a suitable concurrency control method for practical applications is discussed.
KeywordsExpense Straw Dura Lost Tocol
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Agrawal ; Corey; DeWitt: Deadlock Detection is Cheap, University of California, Berkeley, ERL Memorandum No. M83/5, Jan. 1983.Google Scholar
- Bayer, R.: Database System Design for High Performance, IFEP 1983, Paris, pp. 147–155.Google Scholar
- Bayer; Elhardt; Heigert; Reiser: Dynamic Timestamp Allocation for Transactions in Database Systems, in Distr. Data Bases, ed. H. J. Schneider, North- Holland, pp. 9–20, 1982.Google Scholar
- Corey, MJ.: An Abstract Model of Database Concurrency Control Algorithms, SIGMOD 1983, pp. 97–107.Google Scholar
- Gray; Homan; Obermarck; Korth: A Straw Man Analysis of Probability of Waiting and Deadlock IBM Res. Lab. San Jose, RJ3066(38112), 2126/81.Google Scholar
- Kiessling, W Landherr, G.: A Quantitative Comparison of Lockprotocols for Centralized Databases, Proc. VILDB, Florence, 1983, pp. 120–130.Google Scholar
- Kiessling, W Pfeiffer, H: A Comprehensive Analysis of Lock protocols for Centralized Database Systems, Research Report TUM-INFO 8402, Technical Univ. Munich, Febr.1984.Google Scholar
- Kung, H.T Robinson, J.: On Optimistic Methods for Concurrency Control, Pros. VLDB, Rio de Janeiro, Oct 1979.Google Scholar
- Lin, W. K.; Iblte, J.: Basic Timestamp, Multiple Version Timestamp, and Two-Phase Locking, Pros VLDB, Florence 1983, pp. 109–119.Google Scholar
- Peinl; Reuters Empirical Comparison of Database Concurrency Control Schemes, Pros. VLDB, Florence, 1983.Google Scholar
- Tay, Y-C; Suri, R.: Choice and Performance of Locking for Databases, V-LDB Singapore, Aug. 1984, pp. 199–127.Google Scholar
- Tay, Y.C.; Goodman, N,: Suri, R.: Performance Evaluation of Locking in Databases: A Survey, Harvard Univ., TR-17-84, 1984.Google Scholar