Many of the problems brought to the attention of the physician concerning the adolescent breast involve variations of normal development that are accentuated by varying degrees of emotional and social overlay. Although they may appear minor to the physician, these problems are often quite real and distressing to the patient.1. Less common are true congenital or acquired abnormalities of the breast, some of which require surgical attention. Although few of these problems are life threatening, they are of great importance to the patient and deserve proper copnsideration and management.
KeywordsEstrogen Adenoma Testosterone Caffeine Androgen
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Haagensen CD:Diseases of the Breast, 2nd ed. Philadelphia, Saunders, 1971, pp 55–66Google Scholar
- 9.Schuh F, Schuh S, Semmens FJ, et al:Breast disorders during adolescence. In Kreutner AKK, Hollingsworth DR (eds):Adolescent Obstetrics and Gynecology, 1st ed. Chicago, Year Book Medical, 1978, pp 395–419Google Scholar
- 11.London R, Solomon D, London E, et al:Mammary dysplasia:clinical response and urinary excretion of ll-deoxy-17 ketosteroids and pregnanediol following alp ha-tocopherol therapy. Breast 4:19, 1978Google Scholar
- 14.Jerrell J, Franks S, Mclnnes R, et al:Breast examination does not elevate serum prolactin. Fertil Steril 33:49–51, 1980Google Scholar
- 16.Rosai J:Ackerman’s Surgical Pathology, 6th ed. St. Louis; CV Mosby, 1981, p 1092Google Scholar
- 19.Wilson RE:The breast. In Sebaston DC (ed):Davis-Christopher Textbook of Surgery. Philadelphia, Saunders, 1977, pp 632–3Google Scholar
- 20.Baker H, Snedecor P:Clinical trial of danazol for benign breast disease. Ann Surg 45:727–9, 1979Google Scholar
- 22.Farrow JH, Ashikari H:Breast lesions in young girls. Surg Clin North Am 49:261–9, 1969Google Scholar
- 23.Dewhurst J:Breast disorders in children and adolescents. Pediatr Clin North Am 28:287–308, 1981Google Scholar
- 25.Dehner LP:Pediatric Surgical Pathology, 1st ed. St Louis, Mosby, 1975, pp 87–105Google Scholar
- 26.Herman J:Tumors and other enlargements of the breast. In Ariel I, Pack G (eds):Cancer and Allied Diseases in Infancy and Childhood. Boston, Little, Brown, 1960Google Scholar
- 32.Skalkeas G:Prognosis of mammary carcinoma in young women. Surgery, 78:339 - 42, 1976Google Scholar
- 38.Gambreil RD, Maier R, Sanders B:Decreased incidence of breast cancer in postmenopausal estrogen-progestogen users. Obstet Gynecol 62:435–43, 1983Google Scholar