Role of Retroviral Oncogenes in the Attachment of Cells to Natural Substrata
In vivo cell fibrin interactions play an important role in tissue repair processes and in cancer spread. These properties can be analyzed in an in vitro assay which quantifies cell-induced fibrin clot retractile (FCR) activity and cellular spreading within the fibrin clot. In several cell systems from different species, loss of FCR and spreading ability within fibrin are correlated with the acquisition of a malignant potential. These changes in cell fibrin interactions seem to take place late during the multistep process which leads eventually to the acquisition of the tumorigenic potential. In certain models, they are related to changes in the invasive and proliferative capacity of the tumor cells and to the presence of retroviral oncogenes. The invasive potential can be measured in vitro through the comparison of putative malignant cells with normal tissues.
KeywordsTumorigenic Potential Chick Heart Chick Embryo Fibroblast Tissue Repair Process Avian Sarcoma Virus
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Clark, R.A., Della Pelle P., Lanigan, J.M., Dvorack, H.F., Colvin R.B. (1982): J. Invest. Dermatol. 79, 263–269.Google Scholar
- 5.Dvorack, H.F., Orenstein, N.S., Carvalho, A.C., Mallowel, C.W., Dvorack, A.M., Galli, S.J., Feder, J., Bitzer, A.M., Typisc, H. and Giovinco, P. (1979) J. Immunol. 122, 166–174.Google Scholar
- 6.Schlager, S.I. and Dray, S. (1975): Eur. J. Immunol. 115,976–981.Google Scholar
- 7.Dvorack, H.F., Dickersin, G., Dvorack, A.M., Manseav, E.J., Pyne, K. (1981): J.N.C.I 67, 335–345.Google Scholar
- 12.Azzarone, B., Macieira-Coelho, A., Curatolo, L., Brouty-Boye, D., Varnier, O.E., Donati, M.B. and Morasca, L. (1983): J.N.C.I. 71, 879–885.Google Scholar
- 16.Mareel, M.M., Bruyneel, E.A., De Bruyne, G.K., Dragonetti, C.H., and Van Cauwenberge (1982): in Membranes and Tumor Growth, Elsevier Biomedical Press (Amsterdam) 223–232.Google Scholar
- 17.Ellis, R.W., DeFeo, D., Shih, I.Y., Gonda, M.A., Young, H.A., Tsuhida, N., Lowy, D.R., Scolnick, E.M. (1981): Nature 292, 505–511.Google Scholar
- 20.Azzarone, B. and Madeira Coelho, A. (1984): Exper. Cell Res.in press.Google Scholar