Inhibitor(s) of Biologically Active Erythropoietin in Concentrated Human Sera
The most specific assay for biologically active erythropoietin (Ep) is the exhypoxic, polycythemic mouse assay . However, the sensitivity of this assay is still not sufficient to detect normal circulating levels of Ep; these have been established by radioimmunoassay to be 9.7 to 24.8 mUnits/ml of serum . All previous efforts at concentrating human serum prior to assaying its biologically active Ep content have resulted in the loss of some activity . We report here results of studies designed to identify a method of concentrating human serum without loss of its biologically active Ep content, and when unsuccessful in this endeavour, studies were initiated to determine why Ep activity is invariably lost after concentrating human sera.
KeywordsFiltration Depression Transferrin Erythropoietin Sera
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Weintraub AH, Gordon AS, Camiscoli JF (1966) Use of the hypoxic induced polycythemic mouse in the assay and standardization of erythropoietin. J Lab Clin Med 67: 742Google Scholar
- 2.Garcia JF, Ebbe SN, Hollander L, Cutting HO, Miller ME,Cronkite EP (1982) Radioimmuno¬assay of erythropoietin: circulating levels in normal and polycythemic human beings.J Lab Clin Med 99: 624Google Scholar
- 3.Erslev AJ, Caro J, Kansu E, Miller 0, Cobbs E. Plasma erythropoietin in polycythemia. Am J Med 66: 243Google Scholar
- 4.Cohen RA, Clemons G, Ebbe S (1985) Correlation between bioasay and radioimmunoassay for erythropoietin in human serum and urine concentrates Proc Soc Exp Biol Med 179: 296, 1985Google Scholar
- 8.Moriyama Y, Saito H, Kinioshita Y (1970) Erythropoietin inhibitor in plasma from patients with chronic renal failure. Haematologica 4: 15Google Scholar
- 9.Moriyama Y, Shimotori T (1970) Studies on erythropoiesis inhibiting factor (EIF). II. the site of formation of EIF. Acta Haemat 44: 321Google Scholar
- 11.Whitcombe WH, Moore M, Dille R, Hummer L, Bird RM (1965) Clin Invest 44: 1110Google Scholar