The Clinical Pharmacology of Alcohol
There is a vast amount of literature about the pharmacology of alcohol. However, there are limitations to the clinical applicability of much of the information, since many of the studies reported are in animals, and extrapolation from animal models to humans can be misleading. Further, most of the literature refers to the properties of ethanol and does not describe adequately the pharmacology of the beverages consumed. Both metabolites of alcohol and other components of alcoholic beverages possess pharmacologic properties of their own.
KeywordsClinical Pharmacology Alcoholic Beverage Withdrawal Syndrome Physical Dependence Isoamyl Alcohol
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 6.Ritchie JM: The aliphatic alcohols, in Goodman AG, Goodman LS, Rail TW, Murad F (eds): The Pharmacological Basis of Therapeutics, ed 7. New York, Macmillan, 1986, pp 372–386.Google Scholar
- 8.Schenker S. The effects of alcohol on the brain: clinical features, pathogenesis and treatment, in Lieber CS (ed): Medical Disorders of Alcoholism. Pathogenesis and Treatment. Philadelphia, WB Saunders, 1982, Vol 22: Major Problems in Internal Medicine Series, pp 480–525.Google Scholar
- 9.Victor M, Adams RD: The effect of alcohol on the nervous system. Assoc Res Nerv Ment Dis Res Publ 1953;32:526–573.Google Scholar
- 10.Beard JO, Mott DH: The effect of alcohol on fluid and electrolyte metabolism, in Kissin B, Begleiter H (eds): The Biology of Alcoholism. New York, Plenum Press, 1971, vol 1,Biochemistry, pp 353–375.Google Scholar
- 11.Wallgren H, Berry H: Actions of Alcohols. New York, American Elsevier, 1970, vols 1,2.Google Scholar
- 15.Goldstein A, Goldstein DB: Enzyme expansion theory of drug tolerance and physical dependence, in Wikler A (ed): Addictive States. Assoc Res Nerv Ment Dis Res Publ, Baltimore, Williams & Williams, 1968, pp 265–267.Google Scholar
- 20.Devenyl P, Robinson GM, Roncari DA: Alcohol and high density lipoprotein. Can Med Assoc J 1980;981–984.Google Scholar
- 26.Sellers EM: Ethanol-psychotropic drug interactions: Pharmacokinetics. Psychopharm Bull 1984;30(3): 497–499.Google Scholar
- 27.Perucca E: Plasma protein binding of phenytoin in health and disease: Relevance to therapeutic drug maintenance. Drug Monit 1980;2:331–344.Google Scholar
- 28.Dreisbach RH: Handbook of Poisoning, ed 11. Los Altos, Calif, Lange Medical, 1983.Google Scholar
- 32.Kissin B: Interactions of ethyl alcohol and other drugs, in Kissin B, Begleiter H (eds): The Biology of Alcoholism. New York, Plenum Press, 1974, vol 3, Clinical Pathology, pp 109–161.Google Scholar