Fundamental Physics and Dark Matter
For the past ten years or so there has been a lot of speculation about the existence and behavior of nonbaryonic dark matter. In this talk I would like to re-examine the evidence for a non-baryonic dark component, contrasting the theoretical prejudice that Ω = 1 with the Big Bang Nucleosynthesis constraints on the amount of baryonic matter, Ω b ≤ 0.2. Assuming then that such a component does exist, I will present a list of candidates from particle physics to explain this dark matter, and illustrate what I find to be a most exciting development, the fact that all the most likely candidates stand to be ruled out or even detected in the next five to ten years.
KeywordsDark Matter Vacuum Energy Solar Neutrino Dark Matter Candidate Light Neutrino
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.M.S. Turner: “Cosmology and Particle Physics,” in Proceedings of the 1st and 2nd Jerusalem Winter Schools, eds. T. Piran and S. Weinberg, 101 (1986).Google Scholar
- 3.J.P. Huchra: in Inner Space Outer Space ed. Kolb, Turner, Lindley, Olive, and Seckel (Chicago: Univ. of Chicago Press), 65 (1986).Google Scholar
- 4.A.G. Doroshkevich, M. Yu. Khlopov, R.A. Sunyaev, A.S. Szalay and Ya. B. Zel’dovich: in 10th Texas Symposium on Relativistic Astrophysics, 32 (1981).Google Scholar
- 5.K.A. Olive and D.J. Hegyi: in Inner Space Outer Space ed. Kolb, Turner, Lindley, Olive, Seckel (Chicago: Univ. of Chicago Press), 112 (1986).Google Scholar
- R. Flores, G. Blumenthal, A. Dekel, and J.R. Primack, Nature, in press (1986).Google Scholar
- 10.K. Freese, F.C. Adams, J.A. Frieman, and E. Mottola: ITP preprint “Cosmology with Decaying Vacuum Energy” (1986).Google Scholar
- 16.J. Faulkner and R. Gilliland: Ap. J. 299 (1985).Google Scholar
- 17.L.K. Krauss, K. Freese, D.N. Spergel, and W.H. Press: Ap. J. 299 (1985).Google Scholar
- 23.K. Greist and D. Seckel: UC Santa Cruz preprint SCIPP 86/60 (1986).Google Scholar
- 24.T.K. Gaisser, G. Steigman, and S. Tilav: Bartol Research Institute preprint BA-86–42 (1986).Google Scholar