Characterization of the Nuclear Binding Sites (Acceptor Sites) for a Steroid Receptor
The nuclear binding sites (acceptor sites) for steroid receptors are important because they represent the first nuclear event in the steroid alteration of gene transcription (Thrall et al., 1978; Spelsberg et al., 1983). Although steroids can affect the rate of processing and stability of mRNAs (Moore et al., 1984) as well as membrane transport, one of the major sites of action appears to be directed at the transcription of the genes. For steroids to regulate gene expression, an interaction between steroid hormone receptors and the nuclear “acceptor sites” in the genome is required. This laboratory has taken the approach of using cell-free nuclear-binding assays with intact chromatin, the native state of DNA in all living cells, to analyze these nuclear acceptor sites.
KeywordsProgesterone Receptor Steroid Receptor Acceptor Site Acceptor Protein Steroid Receptor Complex
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bailley A, Atger M, Atger P, Cerbon MA, Alizon M, Vu Hai MT, Logeat F, Milgrom E (1983) J Biol Chem 258:10384–10389Google Scholar
- Cobb A, Leavitt WW (abstract) (1985) 67th Annual Meeting of the Endocrine Society June 19–21 (Baltimore, MD), pp 83, No 330Google Scholar
- Dougherty JJ, Puri RK, Toft DO (1984) J Biol Chern 259:8004–8009Google Scholar
- Goldberger A, Horton M, Katzmann J, Spelsberg TC (1986) Biochemistry (in press)Google Scholar
- Hamana K, Iwai K (1978) J Biochem (Tokyo) 83:279–286Google Scholar
- Hora J, Horton MJ, Toft DO, Spelsberg TC (1986) Proc Natl Acad Sci USA (in press)Google Scholar
- Moore JT, Norvitch MD, Wieben ED, Veneziale CM (1984) J BiolChem 259:14750–14756Google Scholar
- Ruh TS, Spelsberg TC (1982) Biochem J 210:905–912Google Scholar
- Spelsberg TC (1982) In: Litwack G (ed) Biochemical actions of hormones, Vol.9. Academic Press, pp 141–204Google Scholar
- Thrall C, Webster RA, Spelsberg TC (1978) In: Busch H (ed) The cell nucleus Vol. VI, Part 1. Academic Press, New York, pp 461–529Google Scholar
- Toyoda H, Spelsberg TC (1981) Abstract of the 63rd Annual Meeting for the Endocrine Society, Cincinnati, Ohio, No 857, p 297Google Scholar