Endothelium-Dependent Contractions in Veins and Arteries
While searching for possible heterogeneity of endothelium-dependent relaxations to acetylchloride, adenosine diphosphate, arachidonic acid, and thrombin, the author’s laboratory discovered that the endothelial cells not only play an obligatory role in a number of dilator responses (Furchgott and Zawadzki, 1980; Furchgott, 1983, 1984; Vanhoutte et al., 1986), but also can induce contractions of isolated blood vessels when exposed to certain stimuli (De Mey and Vanhoutte, 1982, 1983). This chapter summarizes the data demonstrating that endothelial cells can indeed produce at least two different types of constricting substances (endothelium-derived contracting factors) (see Vanhoutte, 1987a).
KeywordsArachidonic Acid Pulmonary Vein Basilar Artery Contractile Response Adenosine Diphosphate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Iqbal, A. and Vanhoutte, P. M.: The Ca2+-antagonist flunarizine inhibits endothelium-dependent hypoxic facilitation through an action on vascular smooth muscle. Fed. Proc., in press, 1987.Google Scholar
- Katusic, Z. S., Shepherd, J. T., and Vanhoutte, P. M.: Endothelium-dependent contraction to stretch in canine basilar arteries. Am. J. Physiol. 252:H1–H3, 1986.Google Scholar
- Katusic, Z. S., Shepherd, J. T., and Vanhoutte, P. M.: Potassium causes endothelium-dependent rhythmic activity in canine basilar artery. Pharmacologist 27:223, 1985.Google Scholar
- Katusic, Z. S., Shepherd, J. T., and Vanhoutte, P. M.: Calcium ionophore A23187, arachidonic acid and acetylcholine cause endothelium-dependent contractions in the canine basilar arteries. Fed. Proc, in press, 1986.Google Scholar
- Shirahase, H., Usui, H., Kurahashi, K., and Fujiwara, M.: Possible role of endothelial thromboxane A2 in the resting tone and contractile responses to acetylcholine and arachidonic acid in canine cerebral arteries; submitted for publication, 1986.Google Scholar
- Usui, H., Kurahashi, K., Ashida, K., and Fujiwara, M.: Acetylcholine-induced contractile response in canine basilar artery with activation of thromboxane A2 synthesis sequence. IRCS Med. Sci. Physiol. 11:418–419, 1983.Google Scholar
- Vanhoutte, P. M.: Endothelium-Dependent Contractions in Arteries and Veins, in Blood Vessels, in press, 1987a.Google Scholar
- Vanhoutte, P. M.: Endothelium and the control of vascular tone. News Physiol. Sci., in press, 1987b.Google Scholar
- Vanhoutte, P. M. and McGoon, M. D.: The Endothelial Cell, in Abnormal Pulmonary Circulation (E. H. Bergofsky, ed.) Churchhill-Livingstone, New York, 1986.Google Scholar