Magnetic X-Ray Scattering
In the previous chapter, we discussed the anisotropy of X-ray susceptibility and the physical effects due to this anisotropy. As was mentioned, one of the sources of that anisotropy is connected to the magnetic properties of solids, i.e., dependence of the interaction of X-rays with solids on the orbital and spin moments of the atoms in solids. Formally the magnetic anisotropy of the X-ray susceptibility was also discussed in the previous chapter, but the magnetic dependence of the X-ray interaction with crystals, as the latest investigations proved, appears to be very promising in the study of crystal magnetic structures. Recently, there has been a burst of interest in the magnetic interaction of X-rays with crystal, especially in connection to the fast growth of synchrotron radiation use in the problems of X-ray optics. There is an opinion that the magnetic dependence of X-ray scattering, due to application for investigations of synchrotron radiation, forms the basis for a new practical method of studying crystal magnetic structures. It is why the questions of magnetic X-ray scattering are addressed in a separate chapter.
KeywordsNickel Anisotropy Torque sinO Holmium
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.A.I. Akhiezer, V.B. Berestetskii: Quantum Electrodynamics (New York, Wiley-Interscience, 1965).Google Scholar
- 13.O.L. Zhizhimov, I.B. Khriplovich: Sov. Phys. JETP 60, 313 (1984).Google Scholar
- 16.F.A. Babushkin: Dynamic Theory of Magnetic Scattering of X-Rays by Antiferromagnetic Materials (Leningrad University, 1979), (in Russian).Google Scholar
- 18.M. Brunel, G. Patrat, et al.: Acta Crystallogr. A39, 84 (1983).Google Scholar
- 19.N.N. Faleev, A.A. Lomov, V.G. Labushkin: Acta Crystallogr. A37, C–374 (1981).Google Scholar
- 25.V. Kamersky, J. Kaszer: Acta Phys. Slov. 30, 329 (1980).Google Scholar
- 27.V.M. Lobashov, L.A. Popeko, L.M. Smotritskii, A.P. Serebrov, E.A. Kolomenskii: JETP Lett. 14, 373 (1971).Google Scholar
- 28.M. Hart, A.R.D. Rodrigues: Phys. Mag. Ser. B 43, 321 1981.Google Scholar
- 35.Yu.A. Izyumov, V.E. Naish, R.P. Ozerov: Neutron Diffraction by Magnetic Materials (Moscow, Atomizdat, 1981) (in Russian).Google Scholar
- 45.Magnetic X-Ray Scattering, Proceedings of the 1990 Daresburg Workshop, Science and Engineering Council, Daresburg Laboratory, 1991.Google Scholar