Post-traumatic headache is the most common of many symptoms that occur after a minor head injury. In our series of over 4,000 patients who have had cerebral concussions, over 95% presented with head pain as one of the most distressing, persistent problems.
KeywordsFatigue Migraine Neurol Prozac Hydrocephalus
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Trotter MS: The evolution of the surgery of head injuries. Lancet, 1930; 1:169–171.Google Scholar
- 2.Adams RD, Victor M: Craniocerebral trauma. In: Principles of Neurology. 3rd ed. New York: McGraw-Hill, 1985; pp 657–658.Google Scholar
- 5.Friedman AP: The so called post-traumatic headache. In Walker AE, Cavaness WF, Critchley M (eds): Late effects of Head Injury. Springfield, IL: Charles C Thomas, 1969.Google Scholar
- 6.Jacobson SA: Mechanisms of the sequelae of minor cranio-cervical trauma. In Walker AE, Caveness WF, Critchley M (eds): Late Effects of Head Injury. Springfield, IL: Charles C Thomas, 1969; pp 33–45.Google Scholar
- 7.Rowbothan OF: Complications and sequelae of injuries to the head. Med Pr, 1941; 205:379–384.Google Scholar
- 8.Russell WR: The after-effects of head injury. Trans Med Chir Soc Endb, 1933–34; 113:129–141.Google Scholar
- 13.Groat RA, Simmons JQ: Loss of nerve cells in experimental cerebral concussion, f Neuropathol Exp Neurol, 1950; 9:150–163.Google Scholar
- 15.Olendorph WH, Ktano M: Radioisotope measurement of brain blood turnover time as a clinical index of brain circulation. Nucl Med, 1967; 8:570–587.Google Scholar
- 18.Stuss DT, Hugenhultz H, Richard MT, et al: Subtle neuropsychological deficits in patients with bood recovery after closed head injury. Neuro-surgery, 1985; 17:41–47.Google Scholar
- 19.Denker PG: The postconcussion syndrome: prognosis and evaluation of organic factors. NY State J Med, 1944; 44:379–384.Google Scholar
- 24.Levin HS, Amparo E, Eisenberg HM, et al.: Magnetic resonance imaging and computerized tomography in relation to the neurobehavioral sequelae of mild and moderate head injuries. J Neuro Surg, 1987; 66:706–713.Google Scholar
- 26.Gerson I, Medical Director, University Services, Philadelphia, PA, Personal communication.Google Scholar