A taxonomy is proposed to classify all varieties of technologically-mediated experience. This includes virtual reality and teleoperation, and also earlier devices such as the microscope and telephone. The model of mediated interaction assumes a sensor-display link from the world to the human, and an action-actuator link going back from the human to the world, with the mediating technology transforming the transmitted experience in some way. The taxonomy is used to classify a number of example systems.
KeywordsFatigue Radar Dial Editing Photography
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [Blan90]Blanchard, C., Burgess, S., Harvill, Y., Lanier, J., Lasko, A., Oberman, M., and Teitel, M., Reality built for tow: A virtual reality tool, Proc. 1990 Workshop on Interactive 3D Graphics, Snowbird, UT, pp. 35–36, 1990.Google Scholar
- [Brig84]Bright, M., Animal Language, pp. 55–108, London: British Broadcasting Corporation, 1984.Google Scholar
- [Caud92]Caudell, T.P., and Mizell, D.W., Augmented reality: An application of heads-up display technology to manual manufacturing processes, HICSS Conference, Honolulu, HI, January 1992.Google Scholar
- [Linv73]Linvill, J.G., Research and development of tactile facsimile reading aid for the blind (the Opticon), report to U.S. Dept. of Health, Education, and Welfare, Stanford Electronics Laboratory, Stanford University, Palo Alto, CA, 1973.Google Scholar
- [Robi9la]Robinett, W., Electronic expansion of human perception, Whole Earth Rev., Vol. 72, pp. 16–21, 1991.Google Scholar
- [Robi9lb]Robinett, W., Technological augmentation of memory, perception, and imagination, Virtual Seminar on the Bioapparatus, p. 17, The Banff Centre for the Arts, Banff, Alberta, Canada, December 1991.Google Scholar
- [Robi92]Robinett, W., Taylor, R., Chi, V., Wright. W. V., Brooks, F. P. Jr., Williams, R. S., and Snyder, E. J., The Nanomanipulator project: An atomic scale teleoperator, 1992 SIGGRAPH course notes for the course `Implementation of Immersive Virtual Worlds’, July 1992.Google Scholar