Capillary Electrophoresis for Quantitative Genetic Analysis
Electrophoresis was introduced by Tiselius in 1937. He received the Nobel Prize for his work that demonstrated that protein solutions migrate in a direction and at a rate determined by their charge and mobility when an electrical current is applied. Slab gel electrophoresis (SGE) is an adaptation of this technique and has been used for decades as the primary tool for purification and analysis of nucleic acids and proteins. Gels are typically made of cross—linked polyacrylamide or agarose, and the separations are carried out in low electric fields. While many slab gel techniques are well established and effective in the analysis of nucleic acids, accurate quantitation and ease of automation remain obstacles.
KeywordsCapillary Electrophoresis High Pressure Liquid Chromatography Capillary Zone Electrophoresis Accurate Quantitation Hydrodynamic Injection
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Dieguez-Lucena JL, Ruiz-Galdon M, Morell-Ocana M, Garcia-Villanova J, Flores-Polanco FJ, and Reyes-Engel A (1994): Capillary electrophoresis compared with silver staining of polyacrylamide gels for quantification of per products. Cl Chem 40:493–4.Google Scholar
- Ferré F, Marchese A, and Pezzoli P (1994): Quantitative PCR: An overview. In: PCR. The Polymerase Chain Reaction, Mullis KB, Ferré F, Gibbs RA, eds. Boston: Birkhauser.Google Scholar
- Gelfi C, Leoncini F, Righetti PG, Cremonsei L, di Blasio AM, Carniti C, and Vignali M (1995): Separation and quantitation of reverse transcriptase polymerase chain reaction fragments of basic fibroblast growth factor by capillary electrophoresis in polymer networks. Electrophoresis 16:780–3.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Kumar R, Hanekamp JS, Louhelainen, Burvall K, Onfelt A, Hemminki K, and Thilly WG (1995): Separation of transforming amino acid-substituting mutations in codons 12, 13, and 61 of the n-ras gene by constant denaturant capillary electrophoresis (CDCE). Carcinogenesis 16:2667–73.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Kunkel A, Degenhardt M, and Watzig H (1996): Precise quantitative results by capillary electrophoresis (CE): instrumental aspects (an update). Proceedings from the 8th International Symposium on High Performance Capillary Electrophoresis 17:140 (abstract).Google Scholar
- Lander JP (1995): Clinical capillary electrophoresis. Clin Chem 41:495–509.Google Scholar
- Reyderman L and Stavchansky S (1996) Determination of ss- oligodeoxynucleotides by capillary gel electrophoresis with laser induced fluorescence and on column derivatization. J Chromatogr B (in press).Google Scholar
- Schwarz HE, Ulfelder KJ, Chen FTA, and Pentoney SL (1994): The utility of laser induced fluorescence detection in applications of capillary electrophoresis. J Capillary Electrophor 1:36–54.Google Scholar
- Srinivasan K, Morris SC, and Girard JE (1993b): Enhanced detection of PCR products through use of TOTO and YOYO intercalating dyes with laser induced fluorescence-capillary electrophoresis. Appl Theoret Electrophor 3:235–9.Google Scholar