On the Betti Numbers of Nilpotent Lie Algebras of Small Dimension
The work of Golod and Šafarevič on class field towers motivated the conjecture that b2 > b2 1/4 for nilpotent Lie algebras of dimension at least 3, where b i denotes the i th Betti number. Using a new lower bound for b 2 and a characterization of Lie algebras of the form g/Z(g), we prove this conjecture for 2-step algebras. We also give the Betti numbers of nilpotent Lie algebras of dimension at most 7 and use them to establish the conjecture for all nilpotent Lie algebras whose centres have codimension ≤ 7.
KeywordsBetti Number Riemannian Foliation Dense Leaf Abelian Ideal Maximal Abelian Subalgebra
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [ACJ]G. Armstrong, G. Cairns and B. Jessup, Explicit Betti numbers for a family of nilpotent Lie algebras, preprint.Google Scholar
- [AS]G. Armstrong and S. Sigg, On the cohomology of nilpotent Lie algebras containing an abelian ideal of codimension one, preprint.Google Scholar
- [CJ]G. Cairns and B. Jessup, New bounds on the Betti numbers of nilpotent Lie algebras, preprint.Google Scholar
- [Ca1]Y. Carrière, Flots riemanniens, Astérisque 116 (1984), 31–52.Google Scholar
- [GS]E. S. Golod and I. R. Šafarevič, On class field towers, Amer. Math. Soc. Transl. ser. 2 48 (1965), 91–102.Google Scholar
- [LP]D. Leites and G. Post, Cohomology to compute, in: Computers and Mathematics, ed. E. Kaltofen and S. M. Watt, Springer Verlag, 1989.Google Scholar
- [Ma]L. Magnin, Adjoint and Trivial Cohomology Tables for Indecomposable Nilpotent Lie Algebras of Dimension ≤ 7 over C, preprint.Google Scholar
- [Ni]O. Nielsen, Unitary Representations and Coadjoint Orbits of LowDimensional Nilpotent Lie Groups, Queen’s Papers in Pure Appl. Math. (63), Queen’s University, Kingston, Canada, 1983.Google Scholar
- [Si]S. Sigg, Zur Kohomologie von nilpotenten Liealgebren, Diplomarbeit, Bonn, 1991.Google Scholar