Clustering of Active Walkers: Phase Transition from Local Interactions
The emergence of complex behavior in a system consisting of interacting simple elements is among the most fascinating phenomena of our world. Examples of these emerging new features can be found in almost every field of today’s scientific interest, ranging from the behavior of social groups , to coherent pattern formation in physical and chemical systems , to the motion of swarms of animals in biology .
KeywordsDensity Fluctuation Effective Diffusion Coefficient Local Potential Biological Motion Nonlinear Feedback
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [1a]E. Jantsch and C.H. Waddington, eds., Evolution and Consciousness. Human Systems in Transition (Addison-Wesley, Reading, MA, 1976)Google Scholar
- S. Kai, ed., Pattern Formation in Complex Dissipative Systems (World Scientific, Singapore, 1992).Google Scholar
- [3a]E.O. Wilson, The Insect Societies (Belknap, 1971)Google Scholar
- [3b]B. Pfistner, in Biological Motion, edited by W. Alt and G. Hoffmann, Lecture Notes in Biomathematics, vol. 89, (Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1990), pp. 556–565.Google Scholar
- See the numerous volumes of Springer Series in Synergetics, edited by H. Haken (Springer-Verlag, Berlin) or Santa Fe Institute Studies in the Sciences of Complexity (Addison-Wesley, Reading, MA).Google Scholar
- D. Jefferson, R. Collins, C. Cooper, M. Dyer, M. Flowers, R. Korf, C. Taylor, and A. Wang, in Artificial Life II, edited by C. Langton, C. Taylor, J. Doyne Farmer, and S. Rasmussen (Addison-Wesley, Reading, MA, 1992), pp. 549–578.Google Scholar
- J.H. Holland and J.H. Miller, AEA Papers Proc. 81(2), 365 (1991).Google Scholar
- S. Bura, F. Guerin-Pace, H. Mathian, D. Pumain, and L. Sanders, preprint (P.A.R.I.S.), 1994.Google Scholar
- L. Lam, R.D. Freimuth, M.K. Pon, D.R. Kayser, J.T. Fredrick, and R.D. Pochy, in Pattern Formation in Complex Dissipative Systems, edited by S. Kai (World Scientific, Singapore, 1992), pp. 34–46.Google Scholar
- F. Schweitzer, K. Lao, and F. Family (submitted for publication).Google Scholar
- W. Ebeling and R. Feistel, Physik der Selbstorganisation und Evolution (Akademie-Verlag, Berlin, 1986).Google Scholar
- V. Calenbuhr and J.-L. Deneubourg, in Biological Motion, edited by W. Alt and G. Hoffmann, Lecture Notes in Biomathematics, vol. 89 (Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1990), pp. 453–469.Google Scholar