Factors Controlling the Climate of the West Coast of North America
The west coast of North America extends from the tundra near the Arctic Ocean to the tropical jungles of Panama, with a wide variety of climates in between. Lawford (this volume) discusses the north-south variations throughout the range of the Americas. A special American Geophysical Union monograph, edited by Peterson (1989), is devoted to “Aspects of climate variability in the Pacific and the western Americas” and provides a valuable source of information on this topic. In that same volume, Roden (1989) and Tabata (1989) examine the long-term variability of the west coast and northeast Pacific Ocean climate. Walters and Meier (1989) show that variations in glacial mass balances in western North America are related to the steering effect of the Aleutian/Gulf of Alaska low.
KeywordsWest Coast Precipitation Anomaly Interior Region North Pacific Index Oceanic Upwelling
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Beardsley, R.C., Dorman, C.E., Friehe, C.D., Rosenfeld, L.K., and Winant, C.D. 1987. Local atmospheric forcing during the Coastal Ocean Dynamics Experiment. 1. A description of the marine boundary layer and atmospheric conditions over a northern California upwelling region. J Geophys Res, 92, 1467–1488.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Bryson, R.A., and Hare, F.K. (eds.) 1974. Climates of North America. Vol. 11, World Survey of Climatology, H. Landsberg (ed.), New York: Elsevier.Google Scholar
- Hare, F.K., and Thomas, M.K. 1974. Climate Canada. Toronto: Wiley.Google Scholar
- McBean, G.A. 1994. Observed patterns of precipitation and mid-tropospheric atmospheric circulation. Atmosphere Ocean (to be submitted).Google Scholar
- McBean, G.A., and Hourston, R.A.S. 1994. Relationships between anomalies in circulation and precipitation and sea-surface temperature patterns over the north Pacific Ocean. Atmosphere Ocean (to be submitted).Google Scholar
- Namias, J. 1975. Northern Hemisphere seasonal sea level pressure and anomaly charts, 1947–1974. In A. Fleminger (ed.), CalCOFI Atlas No. 22. Marine Life Research Program, Scripps Institute of Oceanography, University of California-San Diego, San Diego, CA.Google Scholar
- Peterson, D.H. (ed.) 1989. Aspects of climate variability in the Pacific and the western Americas. American Geophysical Union, Geophys Monog, 55.Google Scholar
- Thomson, R.E. 1981. Oceanography of the British Columbia coast. Can Spec Pub Fish Aquat Sci, 56.Google Scholar
- Wallace, J.M., and Gutzler, D.S. 1981. Teleconnections in the geopotential height field during the Northern Hemispherie winters. Mon Wea Rev, 109, 748–812.Google Scholar