Phaeohyphomycosis encompasses a heterogeneous group of fungal infections caused by a variety of fungi that grow in tissue, either as dematiaceous yeasts, pseudohyphae, hyphae of various shapes and sizes, or a combination of all of these forms. Clinically, phaeohyphomycosis is classified on the basis of tissues involved and the pathology produced (McGinnis, 1983). The disease may be superficial, cutaneous, subcutaneous, or systemic. The infection has an impact on public health, both in humans and animals, such as birds, cats, cattle, fish, and horses.
KeywordsEtiologic Agent Alternaria Alternata Chronic Meningitis Dematiaceous Fungus Hyaline Hypha
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Carmichael, J. W., W. B. Kendrick, I. L. Conners, and L. Sigler. 1980. Genera of hyphomycetes. University of Alberta Press, Edmonton.Google Scholar
- Chandler, F. W., W. Kaplan, and L. Ajello. 1980. A colour atlas and textbook of the histopathology of mycotic diseases. Wolfe Medical Publications, Ltd., London.Google Scholar
- Domsch, K. H., W. Gams, and T. Anderson. 1980. Compendium of soil fungi. Academic Press, London.Google Scholar
- Ellis, M. B. 1971. Dematiaceous hyphomycetes. Commonwealth Mycological Institute, Kew.Google Scholar
- McGinnis, M. R. 1980. Laboratory handbook of medical mycology. Academic Press, New York.Google Scholar
- McGinnis, M. R. and M. G. Rinaldi. 1985. Antifungal drugs: mechanisms of action, drug resistance, susceptibility testing, and assays of activity in biological fluids. In V. Lorian (ed.). Antibiotics in laboratory medicine. 2nd. Ed., Williams and Wilkins, Baltimore.Google Scholar
- Molero, B., G. S. Volcan, and C. E. Medrano. 1980. Differences in the prevalence of piedra between the mixed population of a city in Bolivar State, Venezuela and the Indian population of that region. PAHO Sci. Pub. 396:77–81.Google Scholar
- Moore, M. K. 1978. Skin and nail infections by non-dermatophytic filamentous fungi. Mykosen (suppl. 1): 128–132.Google Scholar
- Volcan, G. S., C. E. Medrano, and B. Molero. 1980. Notes on the Piedraia hortae cycle. PAHO Sci. Pubi. 396:63–69.Google Scholar