Smoking and Smoking-Related Cancers Among Asian and Pacific Islander Americans
The smoking behavior of the group referred to in this paper as Asian and Pacific Islander Americans (APAs) has gone nearly unreported in the literature on smoking and health. This may be so partly because few research possibilities are offered by the existing limited data base on APAs, and because of the relatively small size of this population.
KeywordsMigration Transportation Income Hull Smoke
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Asian American Health Forum: Facts and Figures About Asian Americans. Fact sheet provided at First National Conference of the Asian American Health Forum, New York, 1986.Google Scholar
- Brand D, Hull J, Park J, et al: The new whiz kids: Why Asian Americans are doing so well, and what it costs them. Time 1987; 130(9):42–51.Google Scholar
- California Department of Health: Report on Hypertension and Related Health Problems in California: Results from the 1979 California Hypertension Survey, 1982.Google Scholar
- Gardner RW, Robey B, Smith PC: Asian Americans: Growth, change, and diversity. Population Bulletin 40(4). Washington, DC: Population Reference Bureau, Inc., 1985.Google Scholar
- National Center for Health Statistics. National Health Interview Surveys; data tapes on smoking prevalence among Asian and Pacific Americans, 1979, 1980, 1983, and 1985. Washington, DC.Google Scholar
- Rumbaut RG: Portraits, patterns and predictors of the refugee adaptation process. In Haines DW (ed): Refugees as Immigrants: Cambodians, Laotians, and Vietnamese in America. Totowa, NJ: Roman & Littlefield, 1988.Google Scholar
- Silverberg E, Lubera J: Cancer statistics, 1986. CA 1986;36:20–21.Google Scholar
- True R: Access to health care. Commissioned paper for Department of Health and Human Services Task Force Report on Black and Minority Health. Washington, DC, 1985.Google Scholar
- US Bureau of the Census. Census of the Population, 1980. Asian and Pacific Islander population by states, 1980. Supplementary Report PC 80-S1-12. General social andeconomic characteristics, US summary. Publication No. PC 80-1-C1. Washington,DC: US Government Printing Office, 1983.Google Scholar
- Yu ESH, Chang CF, Liu WT, et al: Asian-white mortality differentials: Are there excess deaths? Commissioned paper for Department of Health and Human Services Task Force Report on Black and Minority Health. Washington, DC, 1985.Google Scholar