Suicide in Alcoholism and Drug Addiction
The word suicide has a Greek derivation, meaning “self–death” (sui, self; cide, kill). Suicide as a consequence of alcoholism and drug addiction has always been found to be common in many sources of inquiry. The association between suicide and alcohol and drugs has been noted by investigators from a variety of disciplines that have assessed suicide. Many past as well as recent studies have confirmed that alcohol and drug addiction are major risk factors for suicide, as causes and precipitants for suicidal behaviors (1–4).
KeywordsToxicity Depression Dopamine Schizophrenia Serotonin
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Rushing WA (1968). Individual behavior and suicide. In Suicide, JP Gibbs, ed., pp. 96–121. New York: Harper and Row.Google Scholar
- 4.Marzuk PM, Mann JJ (1988). Suicide and substance abuse. Psychiatr Ann18 (ll): 639–645.Google Scholar
- 10.Shaffii M, Carrigan S, Whittinghill JR, et al. (1985). Psychological autopsy of completed suicide in children and adolescents. Am J Psychiatry142:1061–1064.Google Scholar
- 17.Heizer JE, Przybeck TR (1988). The co–occurrence of alcoholism with other psychiatric disorders in the general population and its impact on treatment. J Stud Alcohol49 (3): 219–221.Google Scholar
- 21.Litman RE, Feberow NL, Wold CI, Brown TR (1988). Prediction models of suicidal behaviors. In Prediction of Suicide, Beck H, Resnik LP, Lettieri DJ, eds., p. 141. Bowier, MD: Charles Press.Google Scholar
- 24.Hawton K, Catalan J, eds. (1975). Attempted Suicide. New York: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- 28.Post mortem monoamine receptor and enzyme studies on suicide. (1986). In Psychobiology of Suicidal Behavior. Annals of the New York Academy of Science, Vol. 487, Mann JJ, Stanley M, eds., pp. 114–121.Google Scholar
- 30.Vaillant GE (1983). The natural history of alcoholism. Boston: Harvard University Press.Google Scholar
- 31.Mayfield DG (1979). Alcohol and affect: Experimental studies. In Alcoholism and Affective Disorders, Goodwin DW, Erickson, CK, eds., pp. 99–107. New York: SP Medical and Scientific Books.Google Scholar